The terms quantity cooking, bulk cooking and
volume cooking are synonyms. These take
place extensively in specialized events where
there are large number of people to be fed even
though the methods of cooking and selection
of ingredients remain the same in volume
cooking what differs is the approach. Such
cooking can be done within the premise or off
the premise. In some cases, the food is
prepared in one location and taken to another.
• Planning: Volume cooking require much more
detailed planning and organizing as compared
to a’la carte cooking. One cannot afford to
spoil one dish because of negligence as it
would involve much more money, effort, time
to make that dish again.
• Hygiene: The hygiene of a bulk kitchen need
special attention because in case of food
poisoning larger people would be affected ,
thereby causing bad reputation and financial
loss for the organization.
• Right Equipment: It is also of at most
important that the commodities are prepared,
processed, cooked with little time involved.
This can be possible only when designated
equipment are used.
• Purchasing: The importance of purchase and
indenting needs considerable emphasis in
volume catering establishment.
• Profits: The banqueting department often
makes more profit and revenue than compared
to restaurant. It is very important to purchase
the commodities at best possible rate to
increase profit margin.
• Accounting :Functions such as food cost
estimation inventory control, food and
beverage purchases, which repots to the
• Forecasting: Trying to pin point the actual
quantities based on the number of pax given.
forecasting whether all the pax will arrive
based on many factors and taking in to account
all factors is very important.
• Skilled Labour : when cooking for volume
the taste and the authenticity of the food is
very important and skilled personal are
• Maintenance: Proper maintenance of working
equipment and the work aera is of atmost
importance as the order of work in bulk so if
there is a spillage or electric malfunction
caused because of lapse in maintenance the
loss would be huge.
• Hazard control : Control measures are very
important as in this high risk and hazardous
work environment control of fire accidents ,
accident etc., are not to be taken lightly
• Cost Control: Controlling wastage and also
minimizing the usage of excess commodities.
Improving the quality but reducing unwanted
wastage goes a long way in increasing profits.
• Waste disposal: The Kitchen waste is another
important factor as proper waste disposal goes
a long way in helping the environment and
also giving way for recycling.
• Rechauffe : Recycling leftover foods in the
proper manner without affecting the food and
also avoiding contamination
THREE NICE THROUGHS OF THE DAY
• KILL THE TENSION BEFOUR TENSION KILLS
• REACH YOUR GOAL BEFORE THE GOAL
• LIVE LIFE BEFORE LIFE LEAVES YOU.www.indianchefrecipe.com