26. Continuous improvement philosophy
1. Kaizen: Japanese term for continuous improvement.
A step-by-step improvement of business processes.
2. PDCA: Plan-do-check-act as defined by Deming.
3. Benchmarking : what do top performers do?
31. What is quality management all about?
Try to manage all aspects of the
organization in order to excel in all
dimensions that are important to
Two aspects of quality:
features: more features that meet customer needs
= higher quality
freedom from trouble: fewer defects = higher
32. The Quality Gurus – Edward Deming
Focus on SPC and
“14 Points” for
33. The Quality Gurus – Joseph Juran
1904 - 2008
Quality is “fitness
Cost of Quality
approach as well as
34. History: how did we get here…
• Deming and Juran outlined the principles of Quality
• Tai-ichi Ohno applies them in Toyota Motors Corp.
• Japan has its National Quality Award (1951).
• U.S. and European firms begin to implement Quality
Management programs (1980’s).
• U.S. establishes the Malcolm Baldridge National
Quality Award (1987).
• Today, quality is an imperative for any business.
35. What does Total Quality Management
TQM is a management philosophy:
• continuous improvement
• leadership development
• partnership development
37. Six Sigma Quality
A philosophy and set of methods companies use
to eliminate defects in their products and
Seeks to reduce variation in the processes that
lead to product defects
The name “six sigma” refers to the variation
that exists within plus or minus six standard
deviations of the process outputs
39. Six Sigma Roadmap (DMAIC)
Next Project Define
Customers, Value, Problem Statement
Scope, Timeline, Team
Primary/Secondary & OpEx Metrics
Current Value Stream Map
Voice Of Customer (QFD)
Assess specification / Demand
Measurement Capability (Gage R&R)
Correct the measurement system
Process map, Spaghetti, Time obs.
Measure OVs & IVs / Queues
Analyze (and fix the obvious)
Root Cause (Pareto, C&E, brainstorm)
Find all KPOVs & KPIVs
FMEA, DOE, critical Xs, VA/NVA
Graphical Analysis, ANOVA
Future Value Stream Map
Optimize KPOVs & test the KPIVs
Redesign process, set pacemaker
5S, Cell design, MRS
Value Stream Plan
Document process (WIs, Std Work)
Mistake proof, TT sheet, CI List
Analyze change in metrics
Value Stream Review
Prepare final report