Powerpoint presentation in intro to information science
Mam Augusta Rosario A. Villamater
Hannah May Rosales
From 15th century:
•Malatestiana library was founded by Malatesta
• The Papal collections were brought together by
Pope Nicholas V.
•libraries of humanist and their enlightened patrons
provided a nucleus around which an "academy" of
scholars congregated in each Italian city of
In the 16th and 17th century:
•Sixtus V bisected Bramante's Cortile del Belvedere with a
cross-wing to house the Apostolic Library in suitable
• the Vallicelliana, formed from the books of Saint Filippo
Neri, with other distinguished libraries such as that of
• the Biblioteca Angelica founded by the Augustinian
Angelo Rocca, which was the only truly public library in
• the Biblioteca Alessandrina which Pope Alexander
VII endowed the University of Rome; the Biblioteca
Casanatense of the Cardinal Girolamo Casanate; and
finally the Biblioteca Corsiniana founded by the
bibliophile Clement XII Corsini
From 17th century and 18th century: (golden age of
Important libraries were founded such as:
•Bodleian Library at Oxford
•the British Museum Library in London
•the Mazarine Library and the Bibliothèque Sainte-
Geneviève in Paris
•Austrian National Library in Vienna, the National
Central Library in Florence, the Prussian State Library
in Berlin, the Załuski Library in Warsaw and the M.E.
Saltykov-Shchedrin State Public Library of St
• serves as national repository of information
• rarely allow citizens to borrow books
• contains an in-depth collection of material on one or
• supports scholarly research
• most often an academic or national library
• can be either reference library, which does not lend
its holdings or a lending library, which does lend all or
some of its holdings.
• does not lend books and other items; instead, they
must be read at the library itself.
• historical and unique
Examples of reference libraries:
1. British Library in London
2. Bodleian Library at Oxford University
Reference sections may be referred to as
“reading rooms” which may also include newspapers
Radical Reference Libraries
• libraries that are committed to social justice.
• committed to ensuring that activists and reporters had
to access to information they might need.
Year 2004 - the first Radical Reference library was
created for the Republican Convention
Public or public lending library
• provides a service to the general public and makes at
least some of its books available for borrowing
• serves as community organizations that provide free
services and events to the public, such as reading groups
and toddler story time.
The American Library Association - continues to play a
major role in libraries to this day, with its public library
Stack system - which involved keeping a library’s
collection of books in a space separate from the reading
• to provide resources and research support for students
and faculty of the educational institution
• generally located on the campuses of colleges and
universities and serve primarily the students and faculty
of that and other academic institutions
• hosted in post-secondary educational institutions,
such as colleges and universities.
• provides a quiet study space for students on campus; it
may also provide group study space, such as meeting
• special collections of books intended for juvenile
readers and usually kept in separate rooms of general
• educational agency seeking to acquaint the young with
the world’s literature and to cultivate a love for reading.
Popular programs offered in public libraries are:
Summer reading programs for children, families and
• may or may not be accessible to some identified part
of the general life.
• distinguished from special collections, which are
branches or parts of a library intended for rare books,
manuscripts, and other special materials.
• branches of a large academic or research libraries
dealing with particular subjects.
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.