2. Excellence in Life Sciences
W ORLDW IDE COMMERCIALIZATION OF NEW AND INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN
BIOTECHNOLOGY, MEDICAL DEVICES AND PHARMACEUTICAL DRUG DEVELOPMENT.
THE MISSION OF BIOCON CONSULTING CORPORATION IS TO BECOME THE LEADING
NETW ORK FOR BRINGING THE MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS INTO MEDICAL MARKETS
• Product development within Life Sciences is traditionally done
entirely in-house, however the growing trend is to outsource
services from expert organizations in order to decrease time to
market and increase quality.
• The NPD companies do apply new technologies in order to
increase quality and efficiency of their processes.
• The emergence of service organizations has increased efficiency
of firms to allocate their financial and human resources according
to their corporate strategy and core competences due to
outsourcing of data intensive clinical trials for example.
• Biocon Consulting is a unique network of suppliers due to its
critical presence in the high tech clusters worldwide
• Thus Biocon Consulting is proposing a portfolio of product and
services for commercialization of innovations and new
technologies for the R&D of MNEs and SMEs within the industry
• Biocon Consulting works only in the high end niche.
• Biocon Consulting is not competing with traditional
consulting companies, because we commercialize
existing innovative products and servcies
• Biocon is offering a portfolio of service related to
commercialization of new - innovative –high
technologies within Life Sciences (niche)
• Compared to traditional (usually local) distrubutors,
Biocon Consulting offers know how and skills in the
entire commercialization chain from innovations to
ready products of latest technology
• Biocon Consulting is operating worldwide, and its
present in the most innovatove regions of the world in
Life Sciences is critical for knowledge transfer.
5. The Team
• CEO Margita Engstrom
• CEO Herve JACQUIAU (under discussion)
• CTO Fred Thiel (under discussion)
• CFO to be recruited
• Managing Director USA and Americas Chris
Behrenbruch (under negotiation)
• Managing Director India to be recruited
• JV in Japan
• Managing Director France Fabrice Plasson (under
• Managing Director UK: Peter Benson under negotiation
• Managing Director Finland Margita Engstrom
7. Market Summary
• The new product development (NPD) cycle pressure to
decreased the time to market and costs The companies are
facing more global competition, in addition to increase in
effort to achieve global regulatory compliance, putting even
more pressure on NPD.
• By offering a global network of the best products and
services in the world, Biocon Consulting is able to compete
inquality and time to market with technology leadership.
• Biocon Consulting is networked with financial, technology
and research centers, service and product providers the
global market place aiming at providing technology
• We are in the business commercialization of unique and
carefully selected products, services, innovations and
technologies to the R&D processes of our clients.
8. Threats and Opportunities
• Increased regulations • Able to offer global
• Increased product recalls compliance due to global
Quality • No uniform global
• Knowledge of global
organization compliance due to global
• Able to produce high quality
• Due to quality concerns services at low cost since
and complex regulatory access to global production
compliance the cost of
• Virtual hierarchy erases
Cost NPD tend to increase organization troublesome hierarchy and
• By being present in all the global
• The time to market has « Silicon valleys« Biocon Consulting
decreased for some market has access to technology leadership
areas, however the • The strategy is to use new
pressure to improve is
Technology technologies in order to decrease
Time to continuously present leadership cost, improve quality and decrease
time to market.
market • There is no room to be late-
somewhat late in market
launch can decrease the
profits by 2/3.
9. Business Concept
• Biocon Consulting commercializes new and innovative products
and services into the global market place that improves quality,
decreases cost and time to market of compared to traditional NPD
methods (depend on the product/service).
• Biocon Consulting enhances the development of new technologies
by working with institutions, research centers, and business
incubators by helping them commercializing innovation- by taking
them rapidly through the NPD pipeline with fundraising services,
search of qualified personnel and integrating them to our network
(resulting in network effects and learning).
• The strategy is to secure cash inflows from the beginning through
commercialization of innovative products and services, plus
ensuring long-term income by involving already at the basic
research and innovation phase of new technologies-that becomes
products on the market one day.
10. Goals and Objectives
• Biocon Consulting Corporation is born global. The goal is to
during the first year have running operations in all six market
• The net income for 2008 is estimated to be 400 k EUR.
• The net income for 2009-2013 (after fundraising and
expansion) is increasing from 950 k$ to 18M$ in 5 years.
• The lean organization and being a service house
commercializing products and innovations, enable a high
• The goal is to double the sales revenue each year, an
acquiring more personnel to ensure growth.
• The 5th year exit strategy for the investors is a buyout: MBO
or M&A with a return multiple of 10.
11. Financial Plan
• The sales forecast is based on 6 offices/JV and 4
– CROs and Contract Manufacturing Organizations
– Financial services (fundraising and IP sales/licensing)
– Medical technology
• Each office is estimated to do 2 deals in each
product line the first year (modest estimation)
• The sales forecast is estimated to grow significantly
each year due to network effects and learning
12. Financial plan
• The fundraising need for the beginning of the first
year is 1 200 000$ in stocks and 300 000 by other
method in order to
– Set up the corporation in The USA and the subsidiaries
– Acquisition of material (PC, office, licenses)
– Cars, offices are leased, not purchased.
• The first year is profitable and net income is
increasing from year to year without substantial
reinvestment (with the exception of some more
13. Resource Requirements
• The successful implementation of the business plan requires for the following resources:
• Access to highly educated personnel with knowledge of the latest technologies
• Access to senior level personnel with excellent network and capable to leading a team of multicultural and
• Motivation is enhanced by option program to the managers
• Biocon Consulting will continue to identify high potential technologies and to network (collaborate to
• Access to Business Angel investments and venture capitalists with experience of this business model and the
• Distribution is outsourced to global distributors if possible, local when necessary.
• Strong virtual presence. Excellent internet site in multilanguage with client and partner login. Access to
confidential information strictly controlled
– Products and Innovation to be commercialized
• New and innovative products. More information upon signature of NDA
– Services to be commercialized
• Contracts with: CRO services, financial services, business development services, consulting services,
industrial design services, partnering services, networking services, M&A advisory, IP services, marketing
services and research, technology and financial evaluation, private equity services entrepreneurial education
services, legal services, manufacturing organizations: working on a commission base on global sales
14. Risks and Rewards
• . • Huge growth potential with high margins
• Access to sufficient capital to start • Risk is managed by selecting only the best
globally Financial into the network. Fewer, but with high quality,
Financial risk • Access to financial partners and mentors reward high integrity and exclusive agreements.
• Royalty income from early involvement at the
willing to work globally NPD phase (innovation)
• Only strong IP technologies incorporated into
• Being able to sign collaborative the Biocon Consulting network
agreements with the high technology Technological • High NDA policy
risk • Is the new technology successful? reward • Partnering with competitors if collaboration
enhances market acceptance and increase
• IP regulations not uniform globally knowledge
• Shifts in economical trends might affect • Biocon Consulting emphasizes on value
the market potential added services and products with low cost
Market thanks to technologies that enable this
Market risk • The market may not absorb the best reward • Client needs taken into account early in the
technology but the most ergonomic or NPD process (design, marketing, look, feel)
convenient or most good looking product.
15. Key Issues
• Short term
– Contracting with the suppliers of the newest services and products companies, offering solutions
that the industry is ready to adapt immediately
– Partnering globally with top tier product and services providers in order to be able to shorten the
NPD time at a high quality, low cost and excellent user adaptability.
– The consequences of postponing this decision has an impact on short-term cash flow.
• Long term
– Partnering with incubators and research centers in order to involve them early in the
commercialization process. The issue is to be able to evaluate innovations that have a
– Partnering with universities to follow up basic research trends, and identifying those willing to
becoming entrepreneurs or willing to commercialize or sell their innovation..
– The consequences of postponing this decision has an impact on long-term cash flow.
• The financial critical issues are being able to operate in the 6 areas, hire the Directors
and find technology consultants and sales personnel shortly (by the end of 2008). Due to
the global network organization the need for facilities is limited and does not need huge
financial investments, however high performance computing technologies are needed.