O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 03/09/11 , Topic: Ending WWII (Asia) 2) Next line, write “ Opener #30 ” and then: 1) Write 1 high + 1 low in last 24 hours 2) Rate your understanding of yesterday: lost < 1-5 > too easy (3 is perfect) 3) Respond to the Opening Clip by writing at least 1 sentences about : Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Announcements: None
Agenda 1) Pacific War End Goal, you will be able to… 1) What was going in the Pacific? Reminder 1) Test 1-Delayed to Monday 2/08 130pts: 100mc/30frq (Flags of Out Father and Iwo Jima on Test 1, Permission Slips?)
Review: 1) Manchuria Incident (1931) : Ultranationalist take over democracy, military fakes attack on Jap. railroad in Chinese Manchuria, Jap invades. 2) League of Nations Protest : League has no tools to punish. Jap. ignores and quits league . 3) Japan Invades Rest of China (1937) : KMT forced to join with CCP to fight Japan. 4) Rape of Nanking (1937) : Jap. progress slows at Nanking capitol, Jap. kill 200,000+ Chinese in frustration.
Review 1) 9/01/1939 : Ger. invades Poland, UK+France decl. war. WWII Eur. has started (WWII Asia 37)
2) 6/1940: France Falls : Nazi set up puppet gov (new captiol: Vichy). Fr. fight guerrilla war.
3) 6/1940: Battle of Britain : Nazi bomb UK prepping for UK invasion (UK all that’s left) a) Ger’s 2,500 airplanes vs. UK’s 700 b) UK used radar to help maximize planes c) UK refuse to give up (inspired by Churchill) Plans for Operation Sea Lion
4 ) 6/1941: Operation Barbarossa : 3 mil Nazi troops invade USSR (largest invasion in history)
5) 8/09/1941: Atlantic Charter : Roosevelt (US) + Churchill (UK) secretly meet in the Atlantic to plan: a) Fight for right for ppl to pick own gov (no ambition) b) Open economic trade and prosperity for all
6) 12/07/1941: Pearl Harbor : Japan decl. war on US, Ger. decl. war on US (12/11). (US won’t open Western Front in France, Stalin thinks on purpose)
7) 7/1942: Battle of Stalingrad : Bogged in street fighting, 2 mil die (deadliest battle in history) USSR surrounds + captures 500,000. Tides turned.
8) 9/1943: Invasion of Italy : UK: Montgomery + US: Eisenhower succeed in N Africa, push up into Italy
9) 6/06/1944: D-Day : 156,000 cross English Channel retake France (largest amphibious assault in history)
Notes #29a , Title: “ Nazi’s Fall ” 4) 2/1945: Yalta Conference : Big 3 discuss wars end: a) USSR promises to E. Europe have elections b) Join war against Jap. 90 days after Ger. defeat c) USSR will get temporary control over part of Ger. (+part of Berlin) + part of Asia
5) 4/1945: Invasion of Berlin : a) USSR reaches Berlin first, followed by US+UK. b) Hitler commits suicide 4/30: VE Day: 5/08/1945 c) 100,000 Germans raped by USSR troops (USSR never punished for this) d) Capital Berlin divided in 4: US/UK/USSR/France
Journ #30a , Title “ Video: Hitler’s Last Day ” 1) Copy Source Title: A+E 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections
1931-Japan invades Manchuria 33-Hitler takes power 37-Japan reaches mainland China 38-Appeasement 39-Hitler+Stalin invades Poland 40-Battle of Britain 41-Hitler invades USSR 41-Japan attacks Pearl Harbor (US joins war) 42-Battle of Stalingrad Battle of Midway 43-Allies win in Africa 44-D-Day 2/45-Japan inflicts heavy loses in island campaign (Okinawa) 4/45 Hitler commits suicide 8/45 Atomic bombs, war over! Notes #30a , Title: “ WWII: Asia ”
Notes #30a , Title: “ WWII: Asia ” 1) South East Asia’s Lure : Japan needed raw materials from British + French colonies
Journ #30b , “ Pearl Harbor Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: End Expansion 1) We have gained enough land, if we stop now, we won’t need more raw materials 2) No matter how successful the attack, US will out last us in the end PRO: Attack US 1) When we take S. Asia 4 materials, US will decl war 2) A surprise attack will cripple US long enough for Japan to gain enough land to be a position to negotiate a peace with US
Notes #30a , Title: “ WWII: Asia ” 2) 12/1941-5/1942: Japanese Expansion : Japanese win every battle
3) 5/1942: Battle of Coral Sea : Fought purely by aircraft, first Jap. “defeat.” Jap. Both lose 1 carrier. 4) 6/1942: Battle of Midway : Jap loss 4 carriers, US 1 Tides turned.
5) 8/1942-4/1945: Island Hopping : US takes islands to island, est. airbases as they go.
6) 10/1944: Battle of Leyte Gulf : Jap. employ+lose every last ship, 1 st kamikazes used, only Jap. army left (largest naval battle in history: Jap. lose 4 carriers, 3 battleships, 8 cruisers, 12 destroyers)
7) All of 1945: Japanese Firebombing : US bombs Jap. cities, 80,000 to 100,000 each run.
"They set to work at once sowing the sky with fire."
6/4/1945 Issue of Newsweek: "Six weeks ago Tokyo had a population of nearly 7,000,000. Last week the Japs cried that Tokyo no longer existed as a city. Using new techniques and new bombs, the largest fleets of B-29s ever to take the air and turned most of the Japanese capital into ashes in two great strikes on May 24 and 26....For 105 minutes the Superfortresses filed over and dropped 700,000 incendiary bombs. ”
Journ #30a , “ Firebomb Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Stop Firebombing 1) We should not use weapon aimed at civilians (families) 2) Burning to death causes terrible deaths among its victims, more die of these attacks than the nuclear attacks PRO: Firebomb Away! 1) The Jap. ppl’s spirit to fight is the last weapon left, we must destroy it 2) The sooner we win the war, the more lives we save on both sides
Journ #30b , Title “ Video: Firebombing ” 1) Copy Source Title: Graves of the Fireflies 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections Time Bookmark: 00:00
Notes #30b , Title: “ WWII: Asia ” 8) 2-4/1945: Battle of Iwo Jima + Okinawa : US invasion of Jap. home islands, only Jap. army left, but suicidal resistance ( 30-80% US casualty rate ).
Journ #30c , Title “ Video: Iwo Jima-Okinawa ” 1) Copy Source Title: Letters from Iwo Jima 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections Time Bookmark: 00:00
# , Title “ Emotion ” 1) Briefly summarize factually what happened to A. 2) Put yourself in their place , describe what emotions and feelings you would feel if you were A. 3) Share what you wrote, then each of you sign your name in your partner’s workbook under 3) to verified you’ve shared. Be prepared to present.
Homework: 1) Study today’s notes + work sections for a possible workbook quiz . 2) Test 1-Delayed to Monday 2/08 (Flags of Out Father and Iwo Jima on Test 1, Test 1 is a jumbo 200 points)