What is a stem of verb?
• The stem of a verb is whatever is left once you
drop the verb ending…
What is a stem change?
• A spelling change occurs in the stem part of
the verb when you are conjugating.
• There are 4 types of stem changes…
1. O: UE
2. U: UE
3. E: I
4. E: IE
Where do we stem change?
• These spelling changes only occur in 4
conjugations of the verb…
–Ellos, Ellas, uds.
**Notice we leave out Nosotros**
• In other words, they happen in the “boot”
• There are 4 types of spelling changes
• They only happen in the “boot”
• We leave out the Nosotros form
• Boot verbs use regular AR, ER, & IR endings