O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
ECL: LISTENING 01
1. The instructor asked “Are you going to the dance?” The student said “I’d like to but I have to
What did the student mean?
have to = must = have got to He can’t go.
2. Lt. Jones was told to report to the commander at1:15. When does he have to be there?
1:15 = 13:15
3. You should consult your dictionary. What should you do with it?
consult = look up = refer to = turn to = check in look up word on it
4. Bob has a new bench vice in his work shop. What does he use it for?
for holding objects.
5. Barbara is going to New York by plane. What is Barbara planning to do?
plane = airplane = hydroplane = aircraft travel on a plane
6. What color is your coat?
7. I heard the men talking about the snack bar. What were they talking about?
snack bar = coffee bar = coffee shop = espresso bar a place to eat
8. What month comes right after July?
after = later than = past = gone month come right after July August
9. If Jack has an appointment with the dentist, what is the probably the matter with him?
He has a toothache.
10. Lesson 1 is easier than lesson 2. Which lesson is less difficult to learn?
easier = easy lesson one
11. Elisa asked, “What is your given name?” What name did she want to know?
given name = first name = Christian name = name your first name
12. The clerk said, “I don’t think this suit needs any alterations.” What did the clerk mean by
alterations = alteration = change = modification = variation changes
13. If the teachers asks you a question, what should you do?
14. They’re going to Chicago by jet. How will they get to Chicago?
jet = plane = airplane = aircraft They will fly.
15. Today is Friday. I’ll see Mary tomorrow. When will I see Mary?
16. Why did Sam go to the airport?
airport = airfield = airdrome = airstrip = landing field to meet his friend’s plane
17. What is a mail box used for?
18. Tom was pleased with the acceleration of the car. What was he pleased with?
acceleration = speeding up = stepping up = hastening = hurrying the ability to speed
19. My friend lives in spacious house. Where does he live?
spacious = roomy = airy = large = hard work in a large house
20. Joe bought a new horn for his car. What did he buy?
horn a warning device
21. Mr. Jones said, “I hope Henry will get in touch with me.” What did Mr. Jones want Henry to
get in touch with = call = get hold of = contact = reach = speak to = write to contact him
22. Sam glanced through the book. What did he do?
glanced = glance = fleeting look = momentary look = quick look = look He read it
23. Bill said, “That wire is not insulated.” What did he mean?
insulated = insulate = protect = shield = cut off = isolate The wire is not covered for
24. Who used this book originally?
originally = at first = first = initially = in the beginning = firstly Who used this book
25. How far is it to the school?
far = distant = faraway = a long way = far away The school is three miles from here.
26. On Saturdays the traffic is heavy downtown.
traffic = transfer = travel = interchange = passage
heavy = serious = important = grave = deep There are many cars on the streets.
27. The air in this room is invisible.
invisible = imperceptible = unseen = undetectable = too small to see It can’t be seen.
28. John noticed the crooked line.
noticed = notice = become aware of = see = take in = observe = detect He saw it.
29. This metal is flexible.
flexible = supple = lithe = elastic = plastic = stretchy = bendable = bendy It is easily
30. This radio functions properly.
functions = function = work = perform = operate = run = go
properly = correctly = well = accurately = appropriately = right It’s in good condition.
31. The main speaker for the convention is a famous person.
famous = well-known = famed = celebrated = renowned = infamous He is well
32. The teacher introduced a new student to the class.
introduced = introduce = present = familiarize He presented a new student.
33. The carpenter is drilling in the board.
drilling = drill = bore = make a hole = pierce = puncture = penetrate He is making
holes in it.
34. He hears a strange noise.
strange = unfamiliar = foreign = alien = unknown = mysterious He hears an
35. I am going to purchase this car.
purchase = buy = pay for = acquire = obtain = procure = get I will buy this car.
36. On his way home, Bill ran into John at the drugstore.
ran into = run into = hit = bump into = crash into = meet by chance Bill met John.
37. The lights are blinking.
blinking = blink = open and close the eye = wink =bat an eyelid=flash They are going on
38. We eat a variety of vegetables everyday.
variety = type = kind = brand = form We eat difference kinds of vegetables daily.
39. We were very fortunate to get tickets for the game.
fortunate = lucky = providential = happy = chance = opportune We were lucky to get
40. Mr. James is a commercial pilot
commercial = business = money-making = profit-making The airlines pay him for
41. Doug is an eager worker.
eager = ready = keen = enthusiastic = excited = raring to go = willing He likes to
42. Mr. Smith looked up his friends.
looked up = look up = visit = call on = pay a call on = pay a visit to He visited them.
43. I feel weak today.
weak = feeble = frail = puny = scrawny = weedy = pathetic = fragile strong I’m not
44. I’ll give you a ring sometime after seven o’clock tonight.
give you a ring = telephone I’ll telephone you.
45. Lee sent a letter to his mother.
sent = send = mail = transmit = dispatch = forward = convey = remit He mailed a
46. The student failed the examination.
failed = fail = be unsuccessful = not pass = not succeed = fall short He wasn’t
47. Johnson went to the post office and cashed his money order.
cashed = cash = money = hard cash = ready money = coins He obtained some
48. The wire is twisted.
twisted = twist = rotate = turn = screw = bend = out of shape straight It is not
49. This sentence looks like a puzzle to me.
puzzle = confuse = problem = brainteaser = riddle = enigma I don’t understand it.
50. Mr. Bell said, “Please, give me some soap.”
He wants some soap from me.
51. Woman : What did the doctor say, Bill?
Man : He told me to cut out smoking. What did the doctor tell Bill?
cut out = remove = take out = quit = give up = stop to quit smoking
52. Man : Suzie, Would you rather go to the movies or the skating rink?
Woman : “I’d like to skate, but I’d rather go to the movie.” What does she mean?
rather = preferably = pretty = more willingly She prefers the movies.
53. Man : How is your son doing in school?
Woman : He is highly motivated in his studies. What did the woman say about her son?
motivated = annoyed = irritated = aggravated = provoked He is very interested in his
54. Woman : Will you repair this tire for me?
Man : I would replace it instead of repairing it. What did the man mean?
He would replace it rather than repair it.
55. Woman : You’d better put that food in the refrigerator right now.
Man : Why?
Woman : It spoils easily. What did the woman mean?
spoils = spoil = decay = go rotten = rot = destroy It will decay quickly.
56. Man : How was your trip?
Woman : I had a painful experience. What kind of an experience was it?
painful = sorrowful = distressing = anguished = heartrending pleasant an
57. Woman : Do you have bacon and eggs for breakfast?
Man : Occasionally. What did the man mean?
occasionally = seldom = irregularly = sometimes He sometime has bacon and eggs.
58. Woman : What’s the matter, Jim?
Man : I’m getting tired. What did the man mean?
getting = receiving = in receipt of = being paid He will be tired soon.
59. Woman : Do you work all the time?
Man : We have two breaks a day. What is a break?
break = take a break = have a break = rest = have time out = relax a rest period
60. Woman : Bill, did you go to the game with John?
Man : I thought I would, then I changed my mind. What did Bill mean?
He decided not to go.
61. If he…….his sweater, he wouldn’t have caught a cold.
*a. had worn b. wear
c. wears d. wearing
62. He is…….in the military service.(คำตอบผิดจำกโปรแกรม)
*a. had won b. wear
c. wears d. wearing
63. Jones has only a few days to learn to drive.
a. He will need a lot of time. *b. He has little time left.
c. He has studied every day. d. He has many days.
64. Clark has a lot of friends.
a. no b. a few
*c. many d. five
65. This material can be used for camouflage.อำพรำง
*a. to hide things b. for firewood
c. to mark positions d. for lumber
66. Ray has an expensive item.
a. a broken b. a bad
*c. a costly d. a cheap
67. I like to read…….when I have enough time.
*a. books b. the garden
c. a movie d. the piano
68. John spent his……….instead of putting it in the bank.
a. time b. gasoline
c. wallet *d. money
69. I can’t go with you……..I’m busy.
a. that b. and
c. but *d. because
70. The air traffic controller announced the arrival of the flight.
*a. landing b. captain
c. leaving d. number
71. They have been waiting for me……..5 o’clock.
a. during *b. since
c. between d. for
72. Most people…….to read newspapers.
a. like *b. like
c. are alike d. were alike
73. John would have called the police if he……..the accident.
a. see b. saw
*c. had seen d. sees
74. I was exhausted after working all day.
a. feeling fine b. active
*c. tired d. asleep
75. He finished……….his tape.
a. listened to b. listens by
c. to listen *d. listening to
76. He left the office early………he could do some shopping.
a. if b. unless
c. that *d. so
77. ……..you mind closing the window?
a. May b. Could
c. If *d. Would
78. The name of the last month of the year is………….
a. Winter *b. December
c. past d. Saturday
79. The students are all set for the examination.
a. studying b. not there
*c. ready d. getting ready
80. You…….review this lesson before you take the test.
a. did b. had to
*c. ought to d. would
81. The conductor………the train’s departure.
*a. announced b. spoke
c. said d. told
82. The target ……by the arrow.
*a. was hit b. hits
c. hit d. was hitting
83. He spoke………..him about flying.
*a. to b. by
c. at d. about
84. She has been shopping………along time.
a. from b. during
c. since *d. for
85. It rained a good deal………the summer season.
a. by b. on
c. while *d. during
86. There is no one……...us who could tell the difference.
a. upward *b. among
c. for d. from
87. He didn’t check this page……..as the last page.
a. more thorough b. as thoroughly
*c. as thorough d. thoroughly
88. A month ago, I……..here.
a. am coming *b. came
c. will come d. shall come
89. We………a picnic tomorrow.
*a. will have b. have had
c. had d. did have
90. I am going……to buy a new car.
a. for downtown *b. downtown
c. at downtown d. into downtown
91. The weather is……..today than it was last night.
a. good *b. better
c. nice d. best
92. You will learn more if you………attention.
a. make b. have
*c. pay d. do
93. In the U.S., conversation is……….proper during meals.
a. consider b. considering
*c. considered d. considers
94. ………spears for weapons, the men hunted wild animals.
a. will use b. Use
c. To use *d. Using
95. Aircraft pilots communicate……….control towers.
a. at b. for
c. during *d. with
96. Did the students……..a lot of homework last night?
a. has b. had
c. having *d. have
97. Arthur will……the water.
a. write b. wash
*c. drink d. crack
98. I………happy to see you today.
*a. am b. is
c. be d. very
99. The waitress asked, “Sir, what kind of dressing would you like?”
“…………….” He answered.
*a. Oil and vinegar b. Well done
c. French fires d. Knife and fork
100. Choose the correct sentence.
a. To get me work it to takes 45 minutes.