7. Accurate Assessment Effectively Used WHY ASSESS? What’s the purpose? Students are users too! ASSESS WHAT? What are the learning targets? Are they clear? Are they good? Who will use the results? Be sure students understand targets too! ASSESS HOW? What method? Written well? Sampled how? Avoid bias how? Students can participate in the process too! COMMUNICATE HOW? How is information managed? reported? Students track progress and communication, too!
10. Assessments for and of Learning Place in Time After learning Assessment OF Learning Assessment FOR Learning Reason Check status To Inform Other people (as in summative) Focus Standards Example Internal/external accountability tests Teacher’s Role Administer, interpret/use results, develop classroom tests, assign grades Student’s Role Meet standard, score high/avoid failure
11. Assessments for and of Learning Place in Time After learning During learning Assessment OF Learning Assessment FOR Learning Reason Check status Improve learning To Inform Others (summative) Students (involvement) Teachers (instruction) Focus Standards Learning targets Example Internal/external accountability tests Diagnostic assessments, ungraded quizzes, teacher observations, learning logs, oral questioning, etc. Teacher’s Role Administer, interpret/use results, develop classroom tests, assign grades Change standards into classroom targets, provide descriptive feedback, inform and involve students Student’s Role Meet standard, score high/avoid failure See target, use results to improve learning; set goals
37. Characteristics of Quality Feedback Immediate Based on standards/criteria Descriptive, so the student knows what to do differently Supportive of learning Leads students to take ownership of their own learning
39. Descriptive or Evaluative Feedback Activity A+ 70 % Emerging The beginning of your story really grabbed my attention. Work on making the end just as powerful.
40. Try harder next time. You maintained eye contact with the audience throughout your whole presentation. Table 3 is ready for lunch. They have their desks clear, they are sitting down, and they are quiet.
43. Let’s get out the lessons from the morning and apply them to an actual unit.