English 6 dlp 41 using the present perfect form of verbs
A DepEd-BEAM Distance Learning Program supported by the Australian Agency for International Development
USING THE PRESENT PERFECT FORM
OF THE VERBS
Good day Learner. How did you find your module on indefinite
pronouns? Did you have fun?
We are going to do many activities today. We will learn about
another tense of the verb.
Verbs have many tenses. This module will help you learn about
the present perfect tense of the verb.
Complete the following sentences in each fish using the present
perfect tense of the verb in parenthesis. The first one is done for you.
To the Learner
Let’s Try This
Let’s Learn This
1. Katherine __________
us four times since last
How did you find the exercise? Are all your answers like these?
( 2. have been 3. have waited 4. have lived
5. has taught 6. has become )
Don’t worry dear Learner. You will learn more about the present
perfect tense of the verb in this module.
They ______ good
friends since they were
in grade one.
I ______ for Mother’s
letter for the last two
We _______ in this
house since my father
Ms. Reyes ______ in this
school for five years
He ________ popular
since last year.
Read the dialog.
Answer the questions.
1. Who are talking in the dialog?
2. Who are they talking about?
3. Why do you think the two girls also wish to be a secretary?
4. How about you, do you wish to wok in the office someday? Why?
Let’s Study This
Mr. Reyes has worked in
this office since last year.
He has worked for a year
now. Miss Lopez has
been his secretary since
she was 22 years old.
Miss Lopez’s job has
been so interesting! I like
to be a secretary.
My mother has worked
as secretary too for five
years. Then she has
started a new business
since last year after her
retirement from the
How I wish to become a
Read the sentences again.
What are the underlined verbs in the sentences? What do you call
these verbs? In what tense are they? How are they formed?
* Has worked, has been and has started are the underlined verbs in the
* They are verbs in the present perfect tense. They are formed through
the helping verbs has and have plus the past participle form of the
What actions does the present perfect tense express?
The present perfect tense of the verb expresses an action that
happened at an indefinite time in the past.
* It also expresses an action that started in the past and is still
happening in the present. Often, they are followed by words beginning
with since or for.
* For is used with a time expression to show that an action or
condition was done in the past for a period of time.
1. Mr. Reyes has worked in this office since last year.
2. Miss Lopez has been his secretary since she was 22 years
3. Miss Lopez’s job has been so interesting.
4. My mother has worked as secretary too for five years.
5. Then she has started a new business since last year.
I have danced. We have danced.
You have danced. You have danced.
He, She , It has danced. They have danced.
• Since is used to indicate when an action or condition began.
A. Complete each sentence using the present perfect tense of the
verb. Look at the example.
Let’s Do This
1. Miss Batoto has been my teacher for more than a
2. She has taught in Grade Six for a year now.
1. The teachers have taught us music since last year.
2. They have been our music teachers since we were
in Grade Five.
That actress has performed in
several award-winning plays.
1. Her drama coach
_____________ her a great deal.
2. The cast _____________ discipline
3. Before the first show began, the
cast _______________ for weeks.
4. Artists ______________ the
scenery for the show before
5. They _______________ well before
B. Use for or since to complete each sentence. Write your
sentences on a sheet of paper.
1. Our guest journalist has written stories ______________ she was in
2. Mrs. Paz Cruz has published a lot of stories ______________ she
was in high school.
3. She has written novels, too, ______________ five years.
4. I have read one of her novels ______________ three days.
5. Mrs. Cruz has taught journalism ______________ several years.
Look for the correct answers from the Answer Key.
Give the correct answer (for or since) by connecting the fish to the
baits. The first one is done for you.
Let’s Do More
1. Maria has always
wished to meet her
________ she was ten
2. She has compiled
Mrs. Cruz’s short
stories _________ five
3. Maria has dreamed
to be a journalist, too,
_________ she was in
4. I have worked in the
________ a month.
4. I have edited some
poems and stories
What does the present perfect tense of the verb
• The present perfect tense expresses an action that
happened at an indefinite time in the past. It also
expresses an action that started in the past and is
still happening in the present. Often they are
followed by words beginning with since or for.
• For is used with a time expression to show that an
action or condition was done in the past for a
period of time.
• Since is used to indicate when an action or
1. Andres has studied in this school_________ e was
2. He has obtained first honors ________ six years
Finished? Check your work against the Answer key.
Let’s Remember This
A. Finish the following sentences with the suggested time
expressions. Use since or for. Write your sentences on a piece
Example: The weather has been very hot.
a. whole week b. a week ago
a. The weather has been very hot for the whole week.
b. The weather has been very hot since a week ago.
1. Mr. Depalubos has been teaching in our school.
a. 1984 b. 24 years
2. He has stayed in our home.
a. he came b. ten years
3. Reading has been his favorite pastime.
a. I was in Grade 3 b. five years
4. He has visited many homes.
a. past ten years b. he was teaching here
Let’s Test Ourselves
5. The teachers have liked him very much.
a. the time he was assigned here
b. more than 20 years now
Have you finished writing the sentences correctly?
Check your answers against the Answer Key.
What’s your score?
If you get 4-5, Good job! Here’s a ribbon for you.
If you get 3 and below, do the next activity.
Complete the paragraph using the present perfect tense of the
verb shown in parenthesis. The first one is done for you.
1. Our drama club _______________ for the beginning of the
current opera season. 2. The members _____________ weekly
theatre parties. 3. Some new students _____________ the drama
club this year. 4. The club ____________ a new president and new
officers. 5. The new officers _____________ several new
productions. 6. We _____________ about the best choices for this
Let’s Do This
1. has helped
2. has learned
3. has rehearsed
4. have created
5. have prepared
Let’s Do More
Let’s Test Ourselves
1. a. Mr. Depalubos has been teaching in our school since 1984.
b. Mr. Depalubos has been teaching in our school for 24 years.
2. a. He has stayed in our home since he came.
b. He has stayed in our home for ten years.
3. a. Reading has been his favorite pastime since I was in Grade 3.
b. Reading has been his favorite pastime for five years.
4. a. He has visited many homes for the past ten years.
b. He has visited many homes since he was teaching here.
5. a. The teachers have liked him very much since the time he was
b. The teachers have liked him very much for more than 20 years
Let’s Enrich Ourselves
2. have planned
3. have joined
4. has elected
5. have suggested
6. have wondered
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.