O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
The Challenge for Entrepreneurship and
Lorraine Warren, Professor of Innovation and
Entrepreneurship, Massey University
• I’m new here! New Zealand’s image?
• Green and clean technologies?
• Opportunities and challenges
• For entrepreneurship and innovation
• For Business Model Innovation
Clean and green New Zealand?
• Short history of human occupation (around 800 years –
Polynesian, then European settlers)
• intentional and unintentional introduction of new species
and plants -> significant losses in diversity
• Red and dead?
OECD environmental performance
review (2007) (Dairy?)
• energy intensity is about equal to the OECD average
• intensity of water, fertiliser, and pesticide use is low for
OECD countries. However, the review period saw
'significant increases, with consequent growth in
pressures on the environment'
• New Zealand should strengthen national policy guidance
(policy statements, national environmental standards)
• New Zealand should further integrate environmental
concerns into economic and sectoral decisions,
particularly by using economic instruments to internalise
environmental costs of economic activities
• New Zealand should further develop international
An example - Wilding
“Fledgling firm turns pine pest
into perfume” – Southland Times
About Wilding & Co
Wilding pines are trees which have self-
seeded and are causing serious
environmental damage to the New Zealand
ecosystem. Controlling their unrelenting
spread is costing many millions of dollars—
wasting what could otherwise be a valuable
resource. At Wilding & Co we turn these
pests into beautiful products by distilling
them into the finest essential oil. Making
scents of nature—that is what we do.
Sizing up the green economy: NZ's top 50
NZ Herald, June 29, 2012
• Making money and helping the environment needn't
be a contradiction!
Green 50 grew 15x faster than rest of
• But what do we mean by green
• Type 1 ***, focus on selling an
service or technology
• Type 2 XXX, e.g. Air New
Zealand, "sustainability players" ,
reducing waste and resource
• Five groups importers,
distributors and local
manufacturers of green
technology or services;
converters of waste into useful
products; recycling technology
developers; developers and
implementers of processes for
environmental improvement; and
advisers and consultants
THE FUTURE OF ECO-INNOVATION: The Role of Business
Models in Green Transformation
• OECD report, 2012
• policies to revive industrial activity, job markets and
competitiveness, while simultaneously tackling global
environmental challenges such as climate change and
natural resources scarcity
• The rapid and wider diffusion of “ecoinnovation” can have
a leveraging effect on environmental, as well as on
economic and social improvements
• Bigger picture – World Business Council for Sustainable
• Lack of market-pull forces due to the lack of (smart)
regulations, low levels of eco-taxes or consumer
subsidies or lacking implementation of green public
• Lack of capital for initial investment = too risky
• Difficulty of new business models in fitting in the existing
systems as well as their need for supporting
infrastructures and technological changes
• Regulatory barriers that may prevent firms from taking
certain new approaches to ecoinnovation
• Lack of consumer readiness on which the adoption of
eco-innovations heavily depends.
So what kind of value?
• New markets, new jobs, economic growth
• Better jobs, wider awareness, improved quality of life and change
of attitudes and values.
• Cleaner, greener, sustainable
• Sustainable Business Council
• Parliamentary commission
• Green Party