O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Crowdsourced Innovation by US Department of Defense
Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical and Biological Defense
PROOF Challenge Competition
MAJ Stephen Gerry
UIPE Incr 2 Product Manager
June 15, 2016
DISTRIBUTION STATEMENT D. Distribution authorized to the Department of Defense and U.S. DoD contractors only.
• Proof Challenge Overview
• Target Solvers
• Communication Strategy
• Outreach and Assets
• Return on Investments
The DoD was in search of innovative ideas for solutions
that will increase Warfighter mobility, dexterity and
tactility, reduce operational burden, and seamlessly
integrate the portions of the warfighter kit.
The goal is to relieve any burdens and hazards to the
Warfighter and improve operational capabilities in
combating chemical and biological wartime threats.
1. Source innovative ideas
2. Engage non-traditional resources in solving warfighter
1. Go to the solver – Facebook advertising
2. Speak like them – Engaging graphics, videos, and
3. Understand their motivation – Cash prize, solvers
retain IP rights
Out-of-the-box creative thinkers
Resilient, adventurous and willing to take risks
Interdisciplinary oriented, working across silos,
Team leaders/management must be an example
for the team, acknowledging that there cannot be
success without first experiencing failure. They
must be the first ones to quickly adapt after
failure, demonstrating resilience and agility.
Together the entire team is in touch with actual
consumers/users to put the product in their
hands (user-centered design)
Our Target Solver
• Kickoff Event. The Challenge Kickoff Event will announce the Challenge, draw buzz, and motivate
people to participate. Key invitees will become the influencers and in-person amplifiers of the
– Paid Media: Social ads will actively target potential participants with creative social media
posts informing and compelling them to apply or share information within their networks.
– Organic Media: Organic posts on our Challenge page are comprised of press releases, news
media, assets gathered at the kick-off event and video shoot.
– Owned Media: We actively look to engage with existing JPEO channels and social profiles to
share or uniquely post our Challenge content (links to posts, creative assets and/or copy will
• Challenge Facebook page. We created an individual page focused solely on the Proof Challenge,
allowing for contestants to share their thoughts, ideas, ask specific questions, stay up-to-date,
and ultimately drive to the Challenge website to enter a submission.
• Challenge Site. The final destination for Challenge participants is the website, which is integrated
with Facebook and ultimately serves as the registration and submission portal. The site also
presents content relevant to the contest including the Challenge rules, judges, FAQs, timeline,
• Media: 30 media articles and growing
– Including: National Defense Magazine, LA Times, YAHOO! Style, and CNET
• Assets: 2 promotional videos, numerous photographs
Outreach and Assets
• 5,000 “likes” on the Facebook page
• Over 200 registered Competitors
• Over 80 competitive concept submissions to the challenge (some
competitors had multiple submissions)
• Challenge Competitors joined the CEED Consortium that runs the
protective ensemble contracting vehicle for prototyping
• 10 Challenge Prize winners with concepts that can be further developed by
the UIPE-2 program to improve future CBRN protective ensembles
Return On Investment