3. During meaningful learning, the person “subsumes,” or organizes or
incorporates, new knowledge into old knowledge.
Subsumption theory suggests that our mind has a way to subsume
information in a hierarchical or categorical manner if the new
information is linked/incorporated with prior knowledge/familiar
As a result prior knowledge is given absolute importance.
Teachers are encouraged to teach prior knowledge first rather than new
information to help information subsume.
Advance organizers provide concepts and principles to the students
directly in an organized format.
The strategy of “advance organizers” basically means to classify/
categorize/ arrange (organize) information as you proceed (advance) to
the next complex level.
8. New material or relationships can be derived from the existing structure.
Information can be moved in the hierarchy, or linked to other concepts or
information to create new interpretations or meaning.
9. New material is an extension or elaboration of what is already
10. An individual is able to give a lot of examples of the
concept but does not know the concept itself until it is
11. The first three learning processes all involve new information that
"attaches" to a hierarchy at a level that is either below or above
previously acquired knowledge. Combinatorial learning is different; it
describes a process by which the new idea is derived from another idea
that is neither higher nor lower in the hierarchy, but at the same level.
12. Advance organizers are used to relate prior
information to new concepts.
They are part of Ausubel's subsumption theory
that "contends that meaningful learning and
permanent retention of material is a function of
the stability of existing anchoring ideas"
Can be classified : expository or comparative.
13. While presenting new material.
Use beginning of lesson.
Presents several encompassing generalizations where detailed
contents will be added later.
14. Useful when the knowledge to be presented is new to learner.
Compares new material with knowledge already known by
emphasizing the similarities between 2 types of material & showing
the information that is to be learnt.
Ausubel’s teaching approach is deductive in nature.
16. Advance organizer
Two Benefits of advance organizer:
1. You will find it easier to connect new
information with what you already know
about the topi.
2. You can readily see how the concepts in
certain topic are related to each other.
17. Types of advance organizer
1. Expository – describes the new content
2. Narrative – Presents ne information in the
form of story.
3. Skimming – is done by looking over the
new material to gain basic overview.
4. Graphic organizer- visuals is set up or
outline the new information.
19. Ausubel’s theory is concerned with how
individuals learn large amounts of meaningful
material from verbal/ textual (lecture/ books)
presentations in a school setting as opposed to
theories developed based on experimental
Therefore, learning is based upon the kinds of
superordinate, representational, and
combinatorial processes that occur during the
presentation of information.