THIS IS ONE BIG ISSUE
WE HAVE IN THE WEB
• Almost everything that goes
wrong can be controlled and to
• This leads to people relying on
libraries and frameworks
WE USE CODE WE
TO FIX ISSUES WE
• Learning libraries and
frameworks beyond “hello
world” costs time and money.
• Time you don’t spend on
looking at optimising your code
• In essence, we value developer
convenience over user
THAT MAGICALLY FIX
THINGS HAS BECOME
• We work around browser issues
• We make web standards of
tomorrow work today.
• We build solutions to clean up
others and make them smaller
• And each of those comes with
a “don’t use in production”
MY GOAL FOR TODAY:
RESPONSIBLY AND STAY UP-‐TO-‐DATE.
I CALL THIS THE FULL
YOU ARE BETTER
• There is no lack of free online
resources for learning
• Watch talks, do online courses,
download and read free books.
• Learn by doing and playing
with the language -‐ if you don’t
know it, analyse it.
• Share your knowledge, when
you teach you end up learning.
STOP DOING THAT!
✘ You can’t safely detect a browser.
✘ You fix your code in time and
environment, you might as well code
✘ If you really need to fix an issue with a
specific browser, include agent and
KEEP YOUR HELPER
TOOLS UP TO DATE!
✘ Outdated libraries forced us to
optimise old practices in the JS engine
✘ Shoddily written polyfills broke new
to rename new methods
✘ Old libraries do browsers sniffing and
apply old syntax of now standardised
• Developer tools in browsers are
outstanding and give us incredible
• We can debug across devices and
even convert HTML5 to native apps
for closed systems (﴾manifold.js/
• Editors have linting, build integration,
and some are even written in
• We share code on GitHub and help
debug problems using JSFiddle, JSBin
• Open Source and cross platform
• Includes debugging and linting -‐
learn your mistakes while you
• GitHub integration
VISUAL STUDIO CODE
• One hour free test server
• Authenticate with Google,
Facebook or Microsoft
• Keep your code by forking or
TRY NODE AND EXPRESS…