O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
• The individualized education program, or IEP, is a plan to help students
succeed in school.
• The IEP is developed with cooperation between the teachers, student,
parents, and other education staff to create a specific plan to help an
individual student succeed.
• A student who has difficulties with learning and functioning might be a great
fit for an IEP.
• Students can receive a wide range of
services to help them with their
disability. In most situations, the
services are provided in a traditional
• If you suspect a student would benefit
from an IEP, please refer the student.
• There are a variety of services available to
help a students.
• An Assistive Technology Device is defined as
"any item, piece of equipment or product
system, whether acquired commercially off
the shelf, modified or customized, that is
used to increase, maintain or improve the
functional capabilities of individuals with
disabilities" (IDEA 300.5)
• Remember: No two children are alike, so we
will work to find the best individualized
solution for each child.
• Examples: wheelchairs, walkers, hearing aids, pillows, mirrors, pencil grips,
advanced computer software, etc. (The list is endless.)
• Ways to help students:
• Organization-Help students learn to flowchart and outline
• Note taking-Videotape the lectures, create guided notes
• Writing-Help a student with a simple word processor
• Academic productivity-Use calculators, spreadsheets, or graphics software
• Access to reference and general educational materials-eBooks
• Cognitive assistance-Tutorials or simulations
• Hearing Assistive Technology-Have a student sit closer to the front of the room, eliminate
How can we help a student with a mild disability?
• Voice recognition software
• Text-to-speech software
• Audio players
• iPad applications
• Magnification software
• Smart pen
• Refreshable Braille displays
• Communication boards
• QR codes or bar codes
• Screen readers
Have more questions?
• The Georgia Project for Assistive Technology helps school systems with assistive technology.
• The mission of GPAT is to improve student achievement, productivity, independence and
inclusion by enhancing educator knowledge of assistive technology and increasing student access
to appropriate assistive technology devices and services.
• The website has a plethora of resources: http://www.gpat.org/Georgia-Project-for-Assistive-
• Gina Gelinas
Phone: (404) 463-5288
Fax: (404) 651-6457
National Center for Learning Disabilities
• The NCLD has a wealth of resources for parents. The NCLD suggests different accommodations
available for different learning disabilities.
• The NCLD also has tips to help a parent find the right school for their child, an overview of assistive
technology, resources beyond high school, and so much more.
• The NCLD will help with IEPs.
Assistive Technology Industry Association
• The Assistive Technology Industry Association (ATIA) has a wealth of
resources available concerning assistive technology.
• The ATIA answers questions such as “how do you choose the right
technology?” and “who pays for assistive technology?”
• The Learning Disabilities Online website contains an overview of the IEP process.
LDOnline has a Q &A section that contains answers to the most FAQs.
• The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities has many
resources for IEP teams. The website explains what information should be
included in an IEP as well as some examples of Assistive Technology that could be