2. Career and Career Growth
What is career?
An occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person's life and
with opportunities for progress.
What is career growth?
It means the ability to learn new skills and use them in your job. Career
growth for some might be to work for an industry leader. For others,
growth is the opportunity to take on new challenges and
responsibilities. Its definition varies from person to person.
3. Why career growth?
• It assists students to make decisions at key transition points and
supports their successful transition from school to further education
or work. It also aims to develop the career management
competencies that will equip students to manage their career
pathways and opportunities throughout their lives.
5. Step 1
• Discovering yourself
To make an informed career decision and prior to any exploration of the world of work, it is important to have a good
understanding of your own personal attributes. Think about some of these questions;
• What do I enjoy doing?
. What activities do I enjoy he most?
• What kinds of people would I like to work with?
• What kind of job settings would I most enjoy?
• What can I do best?
• What are my strengths and weaknesses?
• What are my strongest skills and abilities?
• What skills do I want to use on the job?
• What skills would I like to acquire?