3. • Acknowledgments have two core purposes:
Thank the donor for their gift. Make them feel good about
• The most important elements of acknowledgments
are timeliness and accuracy.
• Acknowledgments are about the donor, not the institution.
• Receiving an acknowledgment should be a
consistent and positive donor experience.
11. FORMAT FOR PRINT
• No window envelopes
(looks like an invoice)
• Avoid labels.
• If gift is made online,
it should be thanked
Preprinted card /personally
stationary or handwritten.
A handwritten note at the bottom
of letter is also great choice.
12. Nothing good
ever comes in a
13. •Thank the donor not the gift
•Genuine and Personal
•Short 3-4 sentences
•Tell a story to connect donor to
•Add a handwritten note
Tips for Writing
ments – Key
• Difference between a tax receipt and an
• It should be meaningful, personalized and
• Writing acknowledgements should take 10-
15% of one FTE’s time
• Everyone can be included in the process
• Acknowledgements can be more than a
• You can and should acknowledge how a
donor gives (first time, milestones, loyal,