O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
NETAJI SUBHASH ENGINEERING COLLEGE
I owe a great many thanks to a great many people who helped
and supported me during the writing of this seminar report.
I would like to take this opportunity to extend profound
gratitude to Mr. Sukumar Roy, H.O.D of bio-medical
department for providing such a platform to show our skills.
I would also like to extend a heartiest thanks to Mr. Tarak Das,
the guide of the seminar and as well as our faculty advisor
for guiding and correcting various documents of mine with
attention and care.
My deep sense of gratitude to my friends, family and my
faculty members without whom this project would have
been a distant reality.
Mind reading device – a technology which reflects the
extreme enrichment of science. This technology ensures
the fact of hacking our brain, breaching into our deepest
thoughts and it may lead to the termination of our privacy.
It possesses benefits as well as perils in its own numerous
ways. In several countries clinical trials are running over in
order to explain the human thoughts. This is a major leap
toward reconstructing internal imagery. It is basically a co-
ordination of human psychology and computer techniques.
We are opening a window into the movies in our minds.
What is Mind Reading?
• Ability to attribute mental states to others from their behavior
• To use that knowledge to guide our own actions and predict
those of others
• Machines representing computational model of mindreading
to infer mental states of people.
• Prior knowledge of how particular mental states are expressed
through face in real time is required which is done with the help
of a software NEVENVISION.
Why is Mind Reading?
• To detect driver mental states such as drowsiness, distraction and
• To monitor and suggest improvement in human-human interaction.
• Speech activates specific neurons as the brain works interpret the
sounds as words."If you're reading text in a newspaper or book, you
hear a voice in your own head," Brian Pasley told New
• Electroencephalography(EEG) : It is a non-invasive method to
record electrical activity of the brain along the scalp. Medical
researchers use this to pick up electrical impulses from various parts
of the brain.
• Functional near-infrared spectroscopy (FNIRS) : Technology
which measures the volume and oxygen level of the blood around the
• NASA has developed a computer program which can read silently
spoken words. Just the slightest movement in the Voice box and
tongue is enough to work.
• Initially scientists trained the software program to recognize six
words-including go, left, right and 10 numbers and the software
correctly picked up the signals 92% of the time.
• Futuristic headband that sends light
into the tissues of the head where it is
absorbed by active, blood-filled tissues.
Then it measures how much light was
Facial electromyography : Facial electromyography is a technique used
to measure the electrical activity of the facial muscles by amplifying the tiny
electrical impulses that are generated by muscle fibers when they contract.
A plot of skin resistance measured using GSR while playing a video game.
Facial Impulse Detection
Results can be evaluated in the way below :
Brain activity scan by scientists at Cambridge University :
Electrodes distributed over the brain Credit: Adeen Flinker,
Using electroencephalogram (EEG) electrodes attached to the scalps of subjects, a University of
Oregon team captured synchronized neural activity of short-term memory by monitoring these
ADVANTAGES & USES
• Mind Controlled Wheelchair
• The pilot of a high-speed plane or spacecraft can order some vital
flight information by thought only.
• To decode the brain activity related to that voice
• For screening suspected terrorists
• Crime prediction techniques can be developed
• Individual brains differ
• The initial tests may have been successful “doesn't mean it will scale
• Tapping Brains for Future Crimes
• Risk of criminalizing the innocent resulting to “Brain Slavery”
• Our society is not yet ready to accept this outcome of unacceptable
violation of personal, mental privacy.
• By using MRI imaging techniques to monitor people's brain activity,
as they watched the footage, researcher’s from Berkeley University
were able to create pictures from information
processed by the brain. Although blurred,
the reconstructed images bear a remarkable
resemblance to the footage that the person
is watching which could eventually move
towards translating our memories onto
• Hence if we get 100% accuracy, these
computers may find various applications
in many fields, specially in electronics where we have very less time to
• As every invention has its hurdles, so the “Mind Reading Device” is
not an exception. This is a revolutionary invention, and will surely add a
chapter to the benefits of human race.
Initially reconstructed blurred image
processed by brain
Webster J S – Medical Instrumentation – Application and Design
Cromwell L – Biomedical Instrumentation and Measurement, Pearson