What is career planning ?
Career planning process
How important is career planning
Career planning done by :
What is career ?
• Job vs. Career
– Job– “What can I do now to make money?”
– Career – Chosen Profession for your life. Requires
a willingness to get the training needed to build
your skills for the future.
• A career is the work a person does. It is the
sequence of jobs that an individual has held throughout
his or her working life E.g. occupation of nursing.
Career planning what’s that?
consists of activities
and actions that you
take to achieve your
Characteristics of Career Planning
• It is the life- long process a person goes through to
• Develop a self- concept, learn about careers, and
• Make a career choice, while developing and coping
• The major focus is matching personal goals and
opportunities that are realistically available.
• Career planning is building bridges from one’s
current job/career to next job/career.
Objective of career planning
• Identifying and making clear opportunities available.
• To reduce employee turnover.
• To Increase productivity.
• To identify the career stages and enhance the
• To achieve the organisation’s goal by providing the
employees paths to reach higher order needs.
Organizational career planning process
Career planning options
Career planning options
How important is career planning?
• People leave an organization due to lack of career
• Deeper focus on an employee’s aims and aspirations
• Degree of clarity
• Helps in identifying handicaps & the blind spots to
• Key retention tool
• High-level vision and goals of company are clearly
made known to employees
• Critical human resource strategy
• Matching organization vision & employees
aspirations is must
• Growth of an organization is intrinsically linked with
the growth of an individual
• Significant motivator
Some important guidelines
–Discuss any concerns regarding career
or professional development with supervisor–
Its your career, take all necessary initiative
• Supervisors/ Managers
–Make career planning an ongoing process
–Explain employees importance of growth,
need for change
– Acquire skills to be a good developer
– Give essential feedback to employees
– Provide a work environment that is conducive
– Supportive and motivational atmosphere
–Existence of supportive organizational
structure suitable to employees needs–
Provide resources dollars and time