Building Management Services
What is BMS ?
Building Management Services Provides a single sea for Monitoring and Control of various parameters in a
building for all utilities, integration with Fire & life safety systems, to offer precision controls , automation,
safety lockouts, energy savings and advanced information management systems to enable take corrective
actions – pre and post the events
• Every piece of equipment in a building today is highly intelligent
• Complex algorithms to be processed
• Multiple buildings and a single seat of access
• Energy Costs are increasing
• Occupants want faster, quality and timely response
• Building functions keep changing
• Buildings are an asset to the owner
• Safer and healthier place for occupants
Why do we need BMS ?
*BMS are most commonly implemented in large projects with extensive mechanical, electrical, and plumbing
*Systems linked to a BMS typically represent 40% of a building's energy usage; if lighting is included, this
number approaches 70%.
*Improper installation causes malfunction of the system and loss of energy.
*The four basic functions of a central, computer-controlled BMS are:
*Controlling * Monitoring
*Optimizing * Reporting
How do we carry out BMS ?
• Place intelligent Systems at various locations in a building.
• Capture important and critical parameters.
• Measure and gather field data through intelligent field devices and sensors etc.,
• Process the applications through DDC technology
• Analyze current performance and take corrective actions
Terminologies related to BMS:
• Building Management Systems (BMS) also known as Building Automation Systems (BAS), Building
Management and Control System (BMCS), Direct Digital Controls (DDC) and Building Controls
• Other terms associated with Control Systems include:
• Supervisory, Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
• Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
• Energy Management System (EMS)
• Data gathering panels (DGP)
• Modbus, Lonworks, and Bacnet – All refer to communications protocols
• ‘Front End’ – legacy term used to refer to the BMS Operator Workstation
Role of BMS in Architecture:
• Control of Building Systems and Services
• Graphic User Interface (GUI)
• Real Time Monitoring of Building Operation and
• Trending and Logging of Building Operation and
• Time Scheduling of Building Systems
• Fault Management and Alarming
• Control Application Programming
• User Event Management
• Energy Management and Reporting (NABERS)
Protocols & Open Standards:
• Device Net
Network system used in the automation industry to interconnect control devices for data exchange.
Exchanging structured information in the implementation of Web Services in computer networks.
Defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable.
• BAC net
Communication protocol for building automation and control networks.
• Lon WORKS
A networking platform specifically created to address the needs of control applications.
A serial communications protocol for use with its programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
BACnet (building automation and control networks):
• BACnet was designed to allow communication of building automation and control systems for applications
such as HVAC, Light control system, Access control system etc.
• Provides mechanisms for computerized building automation devices to exchange information, regardless of
the particular building service they perform.
• Overview of this protocol is that many services that are provided or installed can communicate between
• Services are used for device and object discovery.
• Defines a number of Objects that are acted upon by the services.
• Objects include Analog Input, Analog Output, Analog Value, Binary Input, Binary Output, Binary Value, Multi -
State Input, Multi-State Output, Calendar, Event-Enrollment, File, Notification-Class, Group, Loop, Program,
Schedule, Command, and Device.
LonWORKS (Local operation network):
Lon WORKS is a network platform specifically created to
address the needs of control applications.
Platform is created by Echjelon corporation for networking
devices over media such as twisted pair, power lines, fiber
optics and RF.
Two physical layer signaling technologies are used
1)Twisted pair-free topology
2)power line carrier
The two-wire layer operates at 78 kbit/s, while the power
line achieves either 5.4 or 3.6 kbit/s, depending on
LonWorks platform-based control applications are being
implemented with some sort of IP integration, and
accomplished with the web services and IP routing products.
The advanced functionality provided by the control system of a building.
The control system is a computerized, intelligent network of electronic devices designed to monitor and
control the mechanical, electronics, and lighting systems in a building.
• Building automation networks consist of a primary and secondary bus which connect high-level
controllers with lower-level controllers, input/output devices and a user interface.
•Protocols such as Lonworks, Bacnet, ASHRAE, ZigBee.
•Inputs and outputs are either analog or digital
•Alarms and security
Lighting Control system:
An intelligent network based lighting control solution that incorporates communication between various
system inputs and outputs related to lighting control with the use of one or more central computing
•Stand-alone control of the lighting within a space, may include occupancy sensors, relays, photocells, touch
•Chronological time (time of day)
•Astronomical time (sunrise/sunset)
•Occupancy using occupancy sensors
•Daylight availability using photocells
•Program logic (combination of events)
Low Level and
High Level (HLI)
Maintenance and Applications:
• Since the system is computerized, it is easy to maintain and regulate or control.
• Installation is very complex and cost effective.
• Ease of information availability problem.
• Computerized maintenance scheduling.
• Effective use of maintenance staff.
• Early detection of problems.
• More satisfied occupants.
• System integration.
• Energy saving.
In this 21st century with the advent of the various artificial intelligent systems the work places became very
cozy to work with. It has changed the entire working environment leading to the increased out put and also
reducing the running cost to a certain extent. As it gives optimum thermal & lighting efficiency it will cut down
the electricity bills. But any how today the cost of such equipment's to make a building artificially intelligent is
a costly means. With the increase in demand of such systems the cost of these will become affordable as more
and more builders will be using such systems in future.
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.