• Introduction to open source technology.
• Caveats and benefits.
• Graphical representation.
• License and copyrights.
• Why it makes sense in financial services.
• Beneficial for development of society.
3. • The term open source proposed by group of people
in the free software movement who were critical of
political agenda and moral philosophy implied in the
term free software and sought to reframe the
discourse of to reflect more commercially minded
4. • Open source technology is defined as the production and
development philosophy of allowing end users and developers to
not only see the source code of software, but modify it as well.
• Open source software is software whose source code is available
for modification or enhancement by anyone. "Source code" is the
part of software that most computer users don't ever see; it's the
code computer programmers can manipulate to change how a
piece of software—a "program" or "application"—works.
• Open source software is free software for your business and
• Open source developers freely share their knowledge and make
the source code available to the public.
What is open source technology??
5. Utilization :
• Open source software is used in many businesses
and is used in more ways then people realize.
• The idea behind open source is development of high
quality , reliability and low cost software.
• Some of the organizations using open source
software include Travelocity , Wikipedia and US
6. Some software has source code that cannot
be modified by anyone but the person, team,
or organization who created it and maintains
exclusive control over it.
Open source software is different. Its authors
make its source code available to others who
would like to view that code, copy it, learn
from it, alter it, or share it.
This kind of software is frequently called
"proprietary software" , because its source code
is the property of its original authors, who are
the only ones legally allowed to copy or modify
. Open source software licenses promote
collaboration and sharing because they allow other
people to make modifications to source code and
incorporate those changes into their own projects.
1. It’s generally free – it has been
estimated that open source software
collectively saves businesses $60
billion a year. These days for virtually
every paid for proprietary software
system you will find an open source
2. It’s continually evolving in real time
as developers add to it and modify it,
which means it can be better quality
and more secure and less prone to
bugs than proprietary systems,
because it has so many users poring
over it and weeding out problems.
3. Using open source software also
means you are not locked in to using
a particular vendor’s system that only
work with their other systems.
1. Because there is no requirement to
create a commercial product that
will sell and generate money, open
source software can tend to evolve
more in line with developers’
wishes than the needs of the end
2. For the same reason, they can be
less “user-friendly” and not as easy
to use because less attention is paid
to developing the user interface.
3. There may also be less support
available for when things go wrong
– open source software tends to
rely on its community of users to
respond to and fix problems.
11. • There are hundreds of different license
• Open source licenses are licenses that comply with the
Open Source Definition — in brief, they allow software to
be freely used, modified, and shared. To be approved by
the Open Source Initiative (also known as the OSI), a
license must go through the Open Source Initiative's license
License and copyrights
By making it easy to
build upon the work
of others we can
solve problems faster
Freedom to do
all the things
capacity There is real
enjoyment in sharing
Contribution for development:
• Common platform for sharing ideas and putting
them into actions by developers or other people
who wishes to improve a product/software.
• We are in open source revolution where people
collaborate to create, create software or
• Based upon the advantages of open source
technology , we can finally conclude that open
source deserves the popularity.