1. Anand Subramaniam Dossier Commercial in Confidence
Engage with stakeholders to provide improvement advice and support, to achieve business outcomes.
The boogies change over setups were consuming between 3 and 7 hours (5 hours on average) of production
I conducted a detailed time and motion study for 5 days on the Boogie Change operation. I analysed the setup. I
created Spaghetti Diagrams and recorded the time it took for each task, understood “why” a specific tool was being
used and documented every waste in the process. I decided to use S.M.E.D. (Single Minute Exchange of Die) as this
would assist in minimising the down-time due to setup.
After implementing the new procedures, all setups and changeovers were completed in 50 minutes. There was a 25%
decrease in raw material waste and quality defects decreased.
Establish systems to ensure business assets are providing maximum benefits.
There were inefficiencies and non-existent Accounts Payable processes. Late fees were being applied to late
payments from Suppliers. The goal was to reduce department overtime by 75%.
I assisted the team and conducted a 5-day Kaizen event. Calculated total Value-Added Time = 304 minutes and the
Non-Value-Added Time = 35, 200 minutes or 84 days (35,200 / 420 minutes). Out of the 119 steps, only 9 were value-
added. Created the future state and at the end of the week, an action list was created for the remaining activities.
Over the next 30 days the compliance reached 100% for all internal groups creating a total reduction of tracking days
by 92.3%. Overall, the event did more than improve the bottom line. It helped to kick off new Lean initiatives across
Drive improvement support services to ensure promotion of a commercially efficient culture.
The Executive Management were keen to “Lean” out the support processes.
I analysed the front-end processes with the objective of streamlining activities throughout the business. I mapped
current front-end processes from receiving an enquiry through to project initiation. This led to identification of
‘disconnects’ and the visibility of timings for sub-elements of the process. I documented waste which could be
reduced once the team digested and documented the impact on the business. I developed the ‘future-state map’
along with the counter measures that reduced the overall cycle time from 17 weeks to 8 weeks.
The improvement freed up time for Executive Management to work on the strategic growth of the business. This led
to an increased win rate of projects with the potential to increase sales by 10% - high utilisation of existing Sales
resources and reduced average time by 40% per enquiry.
2. Anand Subramaniam Dossier Commercial in Confidence
Deployment of best practice improvement management strategies.
I concentrated in the “Freight Receiving” area. On an average 5,000+ boxes of varying sizes were received during non-
peak time rising to 75,000 boxes during peak activity. With 35 workstations throughout the process the business
operates to an average of 150 boxes per person per hour. In line with best practice, the objective was to analyse all
process steps and identify specific areas for improvement, improve the flow visibility and reduce waste.
I photographed the current state and measured non-value add activity. From the analysis I identified the layout and
flow through the conveyor loop were not ideal resulting in stop/start at the 35 workstations. The analysis showed that
there was poor use of the grid system for stock once received which resulted in excessive walking by operators 12,000
~ 18,000 steps per day. The flow of work was making it difficult for Operators to effectively use their resources. I
prepared a detailed no cost / low cost implementation plan with the objective to increase overall productivity by 15%
within the next 10, 20, 30, 45 and 60 days in the 6 areas.
There was reduction in labour time of 11 hours per week. With the improved layout walk time was reduced by 60%
and the conveyor system belt length was shortened leading to 11% monthly energy saving. Since the Lean initiate, the
business further reduced their carbon footprint.
Execute safety responsibilities, authorities and accountabilities consistent with safety management systems.
The field techs were not following the safety standards laid out in the OH&S guide and this led to on-site injuries. The
management wanted a field audit and review.
The safety standard operating procedures were too detailed and difficult to comprehend by the field technicians. They
were 350+ sheets. I developed 1~2-page job breakdown sheet along with standard work for modular construction,
cabling, ducting, cavity drops, DIALs, tool calibration, working at height, confined space, vehicle & safety audits
checklist. I had the input from the field team and was well received as the staff could relate to it with photos and
points of safety failure.
By standardising, and simplifying tasks done by technicians (blue collar) the safety incident reduced by 80%. All field
staff promoted a safe workplace with zero harm and complied with all OHS and other regulatory standards.
Seek and develop business improvement opportunities in collaboration with the stakeholders.
The Hybrid Fibre Coaxial end-to-end (E2E) activation process, had a 41% defect rate and was creating customer
satisfaction challenges. The E2E activation process showed 11 tasks that were creating 83% of these defects.
I performed a 2-day Kaizen event to implement Mistake Proofing methods. I mapped the process to determine the
specific steps which were causing these errors and why. This allowed us to focus on areas that were impacting the
flow, waste and were prone to defects.
This removed 80% of the defects within 5 months. From the above exercise we were able to apply Mistake Proofing to
other product / technologies like Fibre to Curb, Node and Basement.