One of the best things about Flash is it’s community, and the number of available open source frameworks. In this session we will cover a number of the frameworks that make developing Flash games easier, better, and just more fun.
Almog KorenFounder at Almog R&D Ltd. - Development Studio & Official Meteor Partner, Former founder at Scoreoid (funded startup) em Almog R&D Ltd.
8. Dictionary.com & Wiki Gaming - The playing of games, esp. those developed to teach something or to help solve a problem. Game - A competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance. The origin of video games lies in early cathode ray tube-based missile defense systems in the late 1940s. These programs were later adapted into other simple games during the 1950s. By the late 1950s and through the 1960s, more computer games were developed. Following this period, video games diverged into different platforms: arcade, mainframe, console, personal computer and later handheld games. The first commercially viable video game was Computer Space in 1971 , which laid the foundation for a new entertainment industry in the late 1970s within the United States, Japan, and Europe. About Gaming & History Introduction: Gaming
10. Reference - MBA Online - http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/online-gaming-statistics/ Stats & Demographics Continued Introduction: Gaming History, Stats, Demographics
18. Open source? Open Source Frameworks Wiki Open source describes practices in production and development that promote access to the end product's source materials. Some consider open source a philosophy, others consider it a pragmatic methodology. What is Open Source Software? - “Open source software can be defined as any computer software, generally developed as a public collaboration, whose source code is made freely available.” Flash has an enormous open source community.
19. Public Collaboration It’s all about collaborating to create, and improve development, with games you get support within the community to outside. Reliability & Auditability Coding standards will be followed, Thoroughly tested and immediate patches will be available if any thing breaks, Flexible. Community Open game frameworks have a strong community, which provides support, source files, examples , and much more. Development time Much faster development, good for prototyping, very flexible, offers more features, easy to maintain. Game Frameworks Game frameworks offer specific benefits IE built game timers, scoreboard, collision, pooling. Benefits! Open Source Frameworks
20. flashPunk A free ActionScript 3 library designed for developing 2D Flash games. It provides you with a fast, clean framework to prototype and develop your games in. http://flashpunk.net/ flixel A collection of AS3 files. We put it all in the new flixel 2. Groups to help organize game objects, quad trees for faster, more accurate collisions, a cleaner API. http://flixel.org/ Pushbutton engine The PushButton Engine is an Open Source, Flash game engine and framework that's designed for a new generation of games. http://pushbuttonengine.com/ Frameworks & Game Examples Wii Flash Development
22. as3isolib An open-source ActionScript 3.0 Isometric Library developed to assist in creating isometrically projected content (such as games and graphics) targeted for the Flash player platform. http://code.google.com/p/as3isolib/ FlashGameMarker FGM makes it easy for Flash ActionScript game developers to make 2D side-scrolling and isometric action games. http://flashgamemakeras3.blogspot.com/ More Frameworks Wii Flash Development
24. Tips & Tricks Beyond the session! Make it fun - Your game should be fun, exited and engage the user. Obvious - Talk thur the language of the game, no need for instructions, use the game and visuals Ease controls (don't mix) - It should be ease for the user to play, keep it simple. Don't over complicate things - A good game simples everything but keeps the game engaging Play your game, user test it - Play your game but always do user testing. 8 seconds to hook the user - You have a limited time to sale your game (different for social games) Brand charter - Add a charter to your game, find ways to personalize the game. The 3 “U'” - Understand your platform Understand your game type Understand your user.