O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
MGT 521 NEW Final Exam
Immediate access to
solutions for ENTIRE
FINAL EXAMS and
“RATED A+" - Without
Times Purchased: 36
1. ________ is defined as a business firm92s intention, beyond its legal and economic obligations, to do the right things and act in ways that are
good for society.
95 Social screening
95 Social responsibility
95 Social obligation
95 Values-based management
2. The balanced scorecard measures organizational performance against previously established standards. Which of the four functions of
management relates most closely to setting these standards?
3. Budgets can be used as tools within which two functions of management?
95 Controlling and organizing
95 Planning and leading
95 Controlling and planning
95 Organizing and leading
4. Indira Patel has been working in her organization92s computer security department for the past 10 years. If another employee follows Indira92s
recommendations in a given situation, based on her expertise in computer security, which source of power is Indira using?
95 Legitimate power
95 Coercive power
95 Expert power
95 Referent power
5. If Carol Reece is a charismatic leader, which of the following characteristics is she most likely to possess?
95 An external locus of control
95 A sensitivity to environmental constraints and follower needs
95 A strong need to be in control
95 A fear of taking risks
6. According to the Ohio State studies, which of the following dimensions of leader behavior refers to the extent to which a leader is likely to define
and structure his or her role and the roles of group members to meet goals?
95 Consideration structure
95 Intelligence structure
95 Initiating structure
95 Psychological structure
7. On Monday, Jim92s Taco Shop identified a problem with tainted ground beef that was used to make tacos and nacho platters for its lunch
customers. If the staff at Jim92s did not identify the problem until after the lunch rush, what type of control would this demonstrate?
95 Feedforward control
95 Concurrent control
95 Proactive control
95 Feedback control
8. The ________ determines the number of levels and managers in an organization.
95 chain of command
95 span of control
95 unity of command
95 delegation of authority
9. During benchmarking, an organization can compare its processes and products to competitors in its own industry and to noncompetitors outside
the industry. What is a main benefit of comparing a firm92s performance against an organization it does not consider a competitor?
95 A noncompetitor may allow an organization to see its practices more readily than a competitor in the same industry.
95 A noncompetitor may be the world leader in a specific process or practice, and an organization can learn from it.
95 A noncompetitor may be easier to find and benchmark, because the top firms in the world are so diverse.
95 There is no benefit to benchmarking a firm against a noncompetitor.
10. If a manager rationalizes that he or she does not have time to investigate the source of a problem and instead resorts to putting out fires, the
manager is missing the use of ________.
95 bureaucratic control
95 basic corrective action
95 concurrent control
95 immediate corrective action
11. Which leadership theory is derived from the belief that a leader92s job is to remove pitfalls and roadblocks so followers can achieve their work
95 Contingency theory
95 Fiedler92s theory
95 Leader participation model
95 Path-goal theory
12. A company that wants to distinguish itself from the competition in the marketplace is most likely using which of the following strategies?
95 Functional strategy
95 Focus strategy
95 Differentiation strategy
95 Generic strategy
13. When a manager makes use of a SWOT analysis, one of his or her objectives is to
95 set specific short-term performance standards for each department
95 formulate appropriate strategies to exploit strengths, protect against threats, and correct weaknesses
95 evaluate the desirability of issuing stocks or bonds in the current financial climate
95 identify the best employees to fill each position in the organization
14. What can be said about a manager who believes she worked hard and met her organization92s productivity goals despite unfavorable
95 She has an external locus of control.
95 She has a high ego strength.
95 She has an internal locus of control.
95 She has a low ego strength.
15. Which of the following is a characteristic of a matrix organization?
95 It is free of internal and external boundaries.
95 It has formal departments to which employees return after completing a project
95 It conforms to the unity of command principle.
95 It has a single chain of command for functional managers to report to.
16. Which of the following is a characteristic of an organic organization?
95 Narrow span of controls
95 High specialization
95 Cross-functional teams
95 Rigid departmentalization
17. Conflicts can be resolved by satisfying one92s own needs at the expense of others. This conflict- management technique is known as ________.
18. When planning for unexpected events, a company is using which of the following techniques?
95 Contingency planning
95 Financial forecasting
95 SWOT analysis
19. Melvin manages a team of 10 employees, including Jane and Jared. Jared is leaving the organization to find a job as a manager in another field.
Meanwhile, due to performance issues, Melvin terminates Jane92s employment with the company. Both of these are examples of what type of
95 Job satisfaction
95 Employee productivity
20. Searching for new ideas beyond an organization92s boundaries and allowing changes to easily transfer inward and outward is known as
95 open innovation
95 strategic partnering
95 knowledge management
95 organizational osmosis
21. Which business practice would likely encourage ethical behavior?
95 Intense competition for valued rewards
95 Cultural values for obedience to authority
95 Strong emphasis on individual productivity
95 Strong emphasis on leading by example
22. Why are feedforward controls more rarely implemented as compared to other types of controls?
95 Feedforward controls result in wasted time and money.
95 Feedforward controls require managers to interact directly with employees.
95 Feedforward controls are time-consuming for managers because they must continually monitor progress.
95 Feedforward controls require timely and accurate information that is hard to obtain.
23. Which of the following statements is true about group decision making?
95 It generates more complete information and knowledge.
95 It is most suitable for matters that must be critically evaluated.
95 It prevents any one minority from dominating or influencing the final decision.
95 It takes less time to reach a solution than it would an individual.
24. In the ________ approach of going green, organizations respond to the environmental preferences of customers.
25. Thomas often annoys his coworkers with his talkativeness and assertive personality. According to the Big Five Model of personality, Thomas
would be described as high in the trait of ________.
95 openness to experience
26. If a firm wanted to identify how much money was being made for each sale of a given product (above and beyond the costs associated with
making that product), what type of ratio would it use?
95 Liquidity ratios
95 Activity ratios
95 Profitability ratios
95 Leverage ratios
27. It is crucial to determine an acceptable _____ during the comparing step in the control process.
95 written report
95 measure of organizational performance
95 ideal standard
95 range of variation
28. An organization92s ________ goals are official statements of what an organization says its goals are.
29. Kelly is interviewing candidates to fill a vacancy on her team. One candidate has a degree from a prestigious university, and Kelly is impressed.
In speaking with her fellow members of the interview panel, however, Kelly finds that no one else enjoyed the interview with the candidate, finding
her to be pompous, aggressive, and self-serving. In her focus on only the candidate92s education, Kelly may have fallen victim to _______.
95 the halo effect
95 assumed similarity
30. Which of the following stages is when the group structure is in place and accepted by the group members?