O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Tips on Spine Care During
By Elmer Cagape
During pregnancy, women have to be
extra careful because changes in their
body can be the cause of pain and
discomfort in the next several months.
Back pain, among other things, is quite
common since women can no longer do
all the things they used to when they
weren't carrying a growing fetus. There
are a number of lifestyle changes you
have to temporarily make to stay healthy
and protect your spine during your
• Stop wearing high heels. Flat shoes and sandals are
• Do not overreach, crane your neck too far or twist your spine.
Get a swivel chair to make it easier to move.
• Avoid lifting heavy loads like groceries and small children. When
lifting bags and other things, bend at the knees and keep the
center of balance at the waist.
•When waking up in the morning, bend the knees then turn to one
side as you push up using the arm on the same side. Do not
immediately sit up from a supine position.
• Increase mobility. Make it a habit to do light cardiovascular
exercises like walking or swimming everyday. Stretching your legs
and back can also relieve stress in the muscles.
• Avoid staying in the same position for too long when sleeping or
sitting. Take a break regularly when working at a desk.
Put a pillow under your lower back
when lying supine or a pillow
between the knees when sleeping
on one side.
• Gentle massage and deep
breathing exercises will also
maintain a healthy and strong spine.
Keep your back straight and chest out. Pull your shoulders back
and feel the growing weight from your stomach move towards the
center of your body. This will keep you from falling forward and
maintain a healthy spine.
• Do not slouch or lean forward. Keep your back against the
backrest while seated.
• The knees should be slightly bent at a natural and comfortable
• Even while sleeping, change sides every now and then. Use the
right size and shape when it comes to pillows.
• Make use of supportive straps, bands and devices. Maternity
pants and back supports are ideal for women who have scoliosis or
who are at risk of having other back-related problems.
• Wear comfortable clothes and the supportive shoes.