3. Wireless power transfer is the process
that takes place in any system where
electrical energy is transmitted from a
power source to an electrical load
without interconnecting wires. Wireless
transmission is useful in cases where
instantaneous & continuous energy
transfer is needed but interconnecting
wires are inconvenient, hazardous, or
Father of Wireless energy transmission: Nikola Tesla
• 1891- Nikola Tesla – Hertz Wave Transmitter
• 1917 – Nikola Tesla – Warden Clyffe Tower
5. • The basic Principle we use in the wireless power
transmission is Induction.
Drawback of Induction : Short range
• So we thought to adapt advanced technologies like
1. Electromagnetic Induction effect
3. Micro Wave Transmission
• In the case of electromagnetic radiation closer to visible
region of spectrum (10s of microns(um) to 10s of nm),
power can be transmitted by converting electricity into a
laser beam that is then pointed at a solar cell receiver.
This mechanism is generally known as "power beaming"
because the power is beamed at a receiver that can
convert it to usable electrical energy.
8. • Model of Laser Transmitter
• Laser Power Transmitter
9. • Power transmission via Micro waves can be made
more directional, allowing longer distance power
beaming, with shorter wavelengths of
electromagnetic radiation, typically in the microwave
range. A Rectenna may be used to convert the
microwave energy back into electricity. Rectenna
conversion efficiencies exceeding 95% have been
realized. Power beaming using microwaves has been
proposed for the transmission of energy from orbiting
solar power satellites to Earth and the beaming of
power to spacecraft leaving orbit has been
Micro Wave Transmission
• It is a rectifying antenna
• Converts microwave energy into DC
• Consists of mesh of dipole antennas
• Microwaves are received with about 85% efficiency
15. Advantage & Disadvantage
• Unaffected by day-night
cycle, weather or seasons.
• This is an Eco-friendly,
renewable and maintenance
free energy resource unlike
the conventional fuels.
• Waste heat is re-radiated
back into space.
• Initial spending cost is
• Maintenance is
• More reliable than ground based solar
• If we develop this ,we need not bother
about the exhaustion of natural resources.
• If this project succeeds it will become a
boon to the next generations.