O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
NEHRU PLACE AASHNA KHUSHBOO
GARIMA NIKITA BANSAL
• Nehru place is a large commercial, financial, and
business centre in Delhi.
• Nehru place is a prominent commercial area in south
delhi and houses the headquarters of several indian firms.
• Its earlier name was kalkaji complex.
• It was the biggest of all the 15 district centres
proposed in the 1962 master plan of Delhi.
• Planned by Delhi development authority, the 38-
hectare site was built atop the aravalli mountain range.
• By the 1980s, it was renamed Nehru Place, after
Jawaharlal Nehru, and functioned more as a regional
commercial, financial and business centre.
• Today, it is one of Asia’s largest IT hubs.
• Hundreds of shops sell hardware from computers to
spare parts, second-hand products, and pirated software.
From textile and digital printing shops to multinational
technology companies and hawkers, Nehru Place is a
confluence of informal and corporate labour, bringing
1,30,000 people daily from all corners of Delhi.
INDIA NEW DELHI SOUTH DELHI NEHRU PLACE
As Nehru place lies next to the outer ring road, an arc that encompasses major parts of south Delhi, it can be easily accessed by all
forms of public transport.
It has its own delhi-metro station on violet line.
It has its own bus terminal, popularly known as nehru place bus
terminal. 30 minutes from nizamuddin railway station and 1 hour
from new delhi railway station.
DELHI METRO VIOLET LINE
OUTER RING ROAD
LALA LAJPAT RAI ROAD
Nehru Place was planned to decentralize Delhi’s
commercial activity from Chandni chowk and
The main plaza is a 4-storey complex, home to around
1500 offices,400 registered IT dealers, computer
retailers, textile and digital printing shops and eateries.
The common areas of plaza are dotted with 600
Between the textile, digital printing and IT industries
and hundreds of hawkers selling items from spare
electronics parts and pirated software to clothes and shoes,
Nehru Place has become a city of its own.
PLAN SHOWING AREAS OF FORMAL ACTIVITIES
TOTAL FORMAL RETAIL AREA : 12877.81 SQM
PLAN SHOWING AREAS OF
TOTAL PAVED AREA : 16501.70 SQM APPROX
TOTAL INFORMAL RETAIL AREA : 9900.259SQM
CORE OFFICE COMPLEX
PLAN SHOWING AREAS OF CORE
MAXIMUM HEIGHT G+8
AREA : 1,40,000 SQM
PLAN SHOWING AREAS OF
LOCATED AROUND OFFICE
AREA 1,70,000 SQM
CORE OFFICE COMPLEX TOWER
SURFACE PARKING PLAN BASEMENT PARKING PLAN MULTILEVEL PARING PLAN
SURFACE PARKING BASEMENT PARKING MULTILEVEL T PARKING
1. Parking area near devika towers
• Capacty- 50 cars
• BUT DUE TO INFORMAL MANNER OF PARKING OF
THE CARS APPROX 70 CARS CAN be PARKED IN
2. Parking area near modi towers four –wheeler)
• Capacity-90 cars
• Due to informal manner of parking 115 cars can be
parked at a time.
• Fare –rs 20/- per hour
3.Parking area near vishal bhawan(four –wheeler)
• Capacity -120 cars at a time
• Informal parking
4. Parking near modi towers(tow wheelers)
• Capacity-115 bikes at a time
• Fare- rs 10/- per hour
5. Parking near vishal bhawan (two-wheelers)
• Capacity -250 at a time
• Informal manner of parking
• Capacity-100 two wheeler and four wheeler
7. Informal parking
Shop owners car was parked infront of there shops.
Hawkers zone(7) was also used as car parking
and also three wheelers were parked.
4-WHEELER PARKING. 350 CARS
GET PARKED AT A TIME WHICH IS
ALMOST DOUBLE THE
2-WHEELER PARKING. VEHICLES
WERE PARKED MUCH MORE
4-WHEELER PARKING NERA MODI
TOWERS. THIS PARKING IS MUCH
AUTO STANDS PARKED IN FRONT
OF THE ENTRY GATE OF THE
TOWER SHOING INFORMAL
RICKSHAWS AND CYCLES ARE
PARKED INSIDE THE COURTYARD.
FROM METRO STATION
FROM BUS STOPS AND AUTOS
PEDESTRIAN MOVEMENT PLAN.
SHOWING HOW PEOPLE MOVE FROM PARKING
LOTS,METRO STATIONS,BUS STOPS AND THEN ENTER THE
MARKET..THEN WHERE DO THEY MOVE(IN
• Informal activities taking place in the open space.
• Since most informal activity takes place on the central
courtyards therefore a large number of hawkers are present.
These hawkers occupy over 60% of courtyard spaces which
creates congestions for movement.
• No green space around the premises
• Irregular in movement due to hawkers present in between of
• Very poor lighting.
• No sitting space provided for the customers .
• PEOPLE FROM ALL AGE GROUPS VISIT THIS PLACE SINCE
ELECTRONICS IS A NECESSITY USED BY ANYONE AND EVERYONE.
• BUT THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE VISITING LIES BETWEEN 25-
• SECOND MOST USERS VISITED ARE OF THE CATEGORY OF 19-24
YEARS AND LASTLY 35-30 YEARS.
• AND THERE ARE RARELY ANY OF THE OTHER THREE CATEGORIES.
0-12 13-18 19-24 25-35 35-50 50
NO.OF PEOPLE 0 0 68 206 64 0
TIME - 2:00pm to 2:15pm
HIGH DENSITY IN OFFICE COMPLEX
MORNING 10 AM
OFFICE GOERS VISIT PLAZA FOR LUNCH
OFFICE GOERS LEAVE
PLAZA HEAVILY CROWDED
AFTERNOON 2 PM EVENING 6 PM
PEOPLE GOING TO THEIR OFFICES
AND SHOPS. ALSO, HAWKERS GOING
TO THEIR RESPECTIVE PLACES TO SET
UP THEIR SHOPS
CROWD DURING LUNCH HRS. SOME
FOR EATING, SOME FOR HARDWARE
REPAIRING, AND SOME FOR
PEOPLE GOING HOME AFTER OFFICE
AND THE SHOPKEEPERS TOO AS THE
MARKET SHUT DOWNS BETWEEN 7-8
SAFETY AND SECURITY
• No such dark areas are present inside or near Nehru
place market .
• In day as well during night time, this area is under police
• Females feel safe till the market shut downs at 8:30 pm.
Enough street lights are present in the corridor. Even
some females have their own shops.
• Nehru place is under CCTV surveillance.
POLICE BOOTH AT REAR ENTRANCE
FEMALES WALKING ALONE IN THE MARKET
POLICE BOOTH IN THE COURTYARD
PRESENCE OF CCTV CAMERAS
• Nehru place is not handicap friendly.
• No such public convinience is there.
• Nehru place is located on the Outer Ring Road so it can
be easily accessible by the other parts of the Delhi.
• As the market is just opposite to Kalkaji Colony and CR
Park so it makes the market secure.
• Moreover police patrolling is also there when the market
Being an IT Hub, the market caters more to the people of
age group 25-35 years because of there shops or job or
• Nehru Place is designed in such a way that large open
spaces are there between the towers, in form of courtyards
and parking. Due to long courtyard connectivity fresh air
enter these corridors with a thrust.
• Parking are designed near to the Towers which makes it
easy for the crowd and the employees and also to the
• Office blocks are on the second floor which are totally
segregated from the loud and the crowd.
•Since it was not planned to accommodate these numbers, the
result is congestion, lack of sanitation, and a degenerating
infrastructure in and around the areas surrounding Nehru
•The market is not so User Friendly, i.e. can’t be easily
accessed by handicaps and senior citizens find it difficult to
climb the stairs
•The United States has named New Delhi's popular Nehru Place
as among the world's notorious markets for pirated and
counterfeited products including software.
•The ever growing number of hawkers also cause a threat to the
placemaking of nehru place causing congestion in movement.
•There have been many bomb scares in nehru place in last
•The security is less as compared to the footfall.
•There can be green spaces or recreational spaces which
socialise the office employees and the shopkeepers.
•The hawkers can be assigned a more specific corners/blocks
or square rather than the central open courtyards.