• Application of Oil on Head followed by massage is popularly known
• It is performed as a part of Sharirabhyanga
• It act as an important route of drug administration from persons
suffering from Shiroroga.
• It is one among the Dinacharya.
Indication: Roukshya, Kandu & Mala.
Contraindication: Kaphagrasta, Ajirna
• Materials required:-
1) Medicated Oil
4) Snanartha Churna
Oil to be taken should be Kharapaka or Madhyamapaka &
7. • Operative Procedure
Applied on Ant. Fontanellae & then to whole scalp.
Karnabhyanga to be done prior.
It totally includes 9 steps:
1) Smearing the Oil:
Oil is poured over head & is smeared by dividing the hairs with the help of fingers.
2) Gharshana Hasta:
Massaging the whole head with palmar surface from before backwards.
3) Mridvanguli Tadana:
Fingers of both the hands are moved as if picking up the tuft of hairs.
4) Dvihasta Tandana:
Gentle strokes are done with palmar surface over scalp
8. 5) Taranga Hasta:
Gentle strokes are placed by rapid rocking movement of both the palms.
6) Anguli Kridana Hasta:
Rocking movements over scalp with palmar surface of thumb and little finger.
7) Mridu MushtiTadana:
Gentle strokes are placed on all the areas of the head with closed fist through ulnar
8) Shabdanguli Kridana:
Both the hands are clasped together with little finger folded.
Stroking is done by loose fingers producing bubbling sound
9) Ghatita Hasta:
Palmar surface is place flat over scalp and pressed slightly
9. • Post Operative:
Rest for about 15 minutes.
Bath with lukewarm water and applying Snanartha Churna.
Application of Rasnadi Churna over Scalp.
10. Shiro- Seka Or Shiro-Dhara
• Continous pouring of medicated liquid in a systematic manner on the forehead or
scalp using DharaYantra
Synonyms- Dhara, Seka, Parisheka, Avasheka, Sechana, Prasechana
Based on Liquid used for Dhara, it is of many types:
1) Taila Dhara
2) Takra Dhara
3) Kashaya Dhara
4) Ksheer Dhara
5) Jala Dhara
11. Indications & Contraindications
Neurological Disorders – Headache & Epilepsy
All the KaphajaVikaras, as Shirodhara further increases the Kapha.
Materials to be taken:
Taila,Takra or Ksheer
Gauze, Cotton Plugs
• Preperation of the patient:
Patient should be told to pass the natural urges.
Made to lie in a supine position.
Eyes & Ears should be covered with cotton to prevent the entry of liquid.
The Dharapatra is placed over the 4 Angulas above the forehead.
13. • Selection of Sneha
1) Vata & Kapha Dosha – TilaTaila
2) Pitta & Rakta Dosha – Ghrita
3) Vata + Pitta + Rakta – Ghrita +Taila in Equal Portion
4) Vata + Kapha + Rakta – ½ part Ghrita + 1 partTilaTaila
• Pradhana Karma:
This procedure has to be done in morning hours on empty stomach and after
The Dhara has to be poured continously neither too fast & too slow. It has to be
regulated by using Cotton Cloth drip or Stop Cork.
The Dhara patra has to be moved in pendulum manner over forehead.
The liquid has to be collected in another vessel.
14. • Duration :
Has to poured for half an hour up to 21 days.
As though it is believed that the therapeutic effect gets Sarvashariragata by 21 days
Acc to Sahasrayoga Dhara Kalpa:
1) In Ruksha & PittayuktaVata – 2 Prahara
2) In Snigdha & KaphayuktaVata – 1 Prahara
• Period of Changing the liquid:
Milk - Everyday
Dhanyamla &Taila – Every 3 Days
In First 3 days half of the oil, then next 3 days other half of the oil.
Later on 7th Day both the oils are used together.
15. • Paschat Karma:
After the procedure the patients head is wiped out & slight massage is done.
Rasnadi Churna is applied & patient is asked to folow the Pathya
Parihara has to be done.
• Dhara Dosha:
If Dhara is done from too height, fast or slow, then it may produce:
Murccha, Shula, Chardi, Raktapitta, Jvara
For treating Dhara Doshas:
1) Gandusha, 2) Nasya, 3) Shunthi Kasayapana, 4)Yusha pana,
5) Basti with Saindhava on 3rd day.
16. Takra Dhara
• The decoction of 40 pala of Amalaki with 9 Prastha of water which is
reduced to 1 ½ Prastha is made & the added toTakra for fermentation
• Effects on :
Shirashula, Fatigue, Khalitya, Prameha, Hridroga, Aruchi, Ajirna
And improves the Bala of Gyanendriya.
17. Kshira Dhara
• 2 Prastha Milk + 8 Prastha Water is added
• In a cloth, 1 Pala Bala Mula & ShatavariTubers are tied and dipped into vessel
for boiling which is reduced to 1/4th.
• When milk is cooled down, the cloth is removed and squeezed.
• Then diluted with cocunut water & stirred continously making sure that layer of
cream doesn’t get formed.
• This is been ready to be used as Dhara.
Used in – Unmada, Apasmara, Anidra, Shirashula, Burning Sensation in Head
In Antrika Jwara -- Stanya Dhara is done
Stanya (2 Prastha) + Karpura is used.
• The procedure in which a piece of cloth or guaze is folded & dipped in
specific oil & kept onAnt. Fontanellae (Brahma Randhra).
Cracking of the Skin
• Patient is made to sit comfortably in a chair.
• Tie a band of cloth around the forehead above the ears.
• Place a piece of cloth having length & breadth of 16 cms each over the
• Then keep the cloth of same size one over the other to make the height
of 2 cms
• Pour lukewarm oil at the centre of cloth till cloth get completely soaked
• Keep and maintain it for around 30-90 mins
• Then remove the cloth and wipe the head
• Apply Rasnadi Churna
• The retention of Oil over the scalp for prescribed time period is called as
Acc toVagbhata –
21. • Materials Required :
The person may be subjected to Snehana & Swedana or else can be
directly taken for Shiro Basti procedure.
The essential equipments must be collected.
Chair of Knee Height
22. Pradhana Karma
The cloth strip smeared with Masha Kalka and been tied on the head
Then the leather strap applied with Masha kalka is been tied over the
And then it is been again tied pasted with Masha Kalka to fix Leather
Strap properly from inner side.
Then slowly the lukewarm oil is been poured over the scalp till the
height of 2 Angula from scalp
Care must be taken that the Oil must not be too hot
Temperature must be constant throughout the procedure
It should be retained till it attains Samyak Lakshana:
VaktaSrava, Nasotklesha, Karnasrava
23. • Duration:
Acc to Dosha predominancy:
Vataja – 10,000 Matrakala
Pittaja – 8000 Matrakala
Kaphaja – 6000 Matrakala
Swastha – 1000 Matrakala
Acc to Sharangdhara:
Vataja & Pittaja – 1Yama
Kaphaja - ½Yama
After removing the BastiYantra, Abhyanga is done over Head & Skandha Pradesha.
Rasnadi Churna is applied over Scalp.