O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
A Presentation on Integrated marketing strategies of Kelloggs in India. This presentation includes company profile, entry in India, promotion tools, business strategy, advertising strategy, competition and the factors of success and failure as a brand in India.
Firm's Overview: Kellogg’s
Kellogg’s is a 1906 established firm, it thoroughly enjoyed the status of top most cereals
companies around the globe. When Will Kellogg accidentally invented a new breakfast food
in Battle Creek, Michigan in 1894, he did not realise that he was on the threshold of
forming a major food manufacturing company. His name would become one of the most
instantly recognised throughout the world. It has four main divisions covering North
America, South & Central America, Asia Pacific, and finally Europe, Africa and Middle
Kellogg’s is an American owned organisation that has a true global market in the late 1980s,
the company had reached an all-time peak, commanding a staggering 40 per cent of the US
ready-to-eat market from its cereal products alone. By that time, Kellogg’s had over 20
plants in 18 countries worldwide, with yearly sales reaching above US $6 billion.
But with inception of 90’s, the company started regaining the pressure from its rival, The
General Mills. The working force of the company was accused of being unimaginative. As a
result the company started looking at the other markets rather than US and that of UK’s.
As a result, in 1994, three years after the barriers to international trade had opened in India,
Kellogg’s decided to invest more than US $30 million into launching its number one brand,
Corn Flakes. Currently Kellogg is the leading producer of cereal & convenience food of the
world with total revenue in excess of US $ 12 billion. It currently has 18 plants worldwide
which produces more than 50 different brands and sells in more than 180 countries across
Breaking of Stagnancy
With the strategy of the company to break the series of stagnancy in UK and US for a
decade, the alternative to look beyond resulted in foray of Kellogg’s in India. As the
Government of India, open the doors for international trade, new firms found Indian market
an interactive enough to set up their operations here. But the Indian consumer as habituated,
consumed regularly the tradition breakfast composed of “Paranthas, idli sambar, poha, milk
“(Varying from region to region) etc. To make and create a demand for the people who are
already accustomed to their own eating habits was a mammoth task in front of the company.
While this meant that Kellogg’s had few direct competitors, it also meant that the company
had to promote not only its product, but also the very idea of eating breakfast cereal in the
All-Bran® Flakes Chocos® Crunchy Bites Chocos® Duet Chocos® Moon and Stars Chocos® Variety Corn Flakes Brownie Delite
Corn Flakes Original & the Best Corn Flakes with Real Almond & Honey Corn Flakes with Real Banana Puree & Chips Corn Flakes with Real Honey
Corn Flakes with Real Mango Puree Corn Flakes with Real Strawberry Puree
Honey Loops K-Pak Corn Flakes Original & the Best Muesli Fruit & Nut Muesli Fruit Magic
Oat Bites Oats Green PudinaOats Tomato Salsa
Special K® Special K® Multigrain & Honey
Give away free gifts with packs of chocos.
eg. Glowing stickers with Rs.10 pack of chocos.
• Traditional Indian breakfast ,
• Kellogg’s Cereals and Nestlé's Maggie,
• Indian breakfast gives the child 85% , the rest 15% of the nutrients come from
• Repositioning- for people who want to lose weight,
• Priced packs at Rs10/-
• Jaago Jaise Bhi, lo Kellogg’s hi,
• Yoga instructor to kathakali dancer attributing their morning energy
and fitness to Kellogg's,
• Introduction of new cereals (Chocos, frosties etc.) forced to look at
alternate product categories to make up for bad performance of
• To grow the cereal business – there are now 40 different cereals,
• To expand the snack business – by diversifying into convenience
• To engage in specific growth opportunities.
Kellogg's Company promotional methods show that it focus more on its target consumers so
as to get in their minds. The company recognises the needs to get in the minds of its
customers which are also important towards getting information from the customers.
1. Kellogg uses many promotional activities like advertising, event management, above
the line promotion and below the line promotion,
2. Kellogg Cornflakes is not only appealing in outlook and contents, its promotional offer
of free cereal box are also appealing to customers,
3. Kellogg management is aware of price sensitivity of consumers and gives out coupons,
4. The company has also been using the packaging of Kellogg Cornflakes to influence
consumer beliefs about the product,
5. The most noticeable contemporary marketing tool for Kellogg Cornflakes are the
company newsletter which incorporates all its product and latest news on each, mass
advertising i.e., TV and print media, and direct promotion i.e., coupons,
6. The company is using the right marketing tools through such avenues as newsletter that
kept updating the consumer on latest improvement and available offers by Kellogg
7. Kellogg’s promotional offers such as news and offers from Kellogg i.e., coupons,
special offers and promotions, great tasting recipes, nutrition tips, product sneak peeks
and getting great saving on their products ensure the company maintain its
8. Kellogg’s promotions are made according to the specification of targeted consumers,
9. Kellogg was considered a complete western brand, hence in order compete in the local
market, they came up with indianised product names like Iron-Shakti,
10. Catchy phrases like “jago jaise bhi,lo Kelloggs hi”. “Andar se khush, to bahar se kush”,
“Shuruvat sahi to din sahi” for attributing the daily energy provision to Kelloggs,
11. Kellogg’s also launched a series of Consumer Awareness Campaigns. The company
reached out to the students across a number of schools in the country,
12. Kellogg’s introduced the concept of associating a MASCOT with a particular product,
13. Kellogg uses events to promote its brands and in these events it uses promotional
activities like special offers, prizes as well as television commercial,
14. Kellogg uses segmentation, targeting and positing (STP) strategy in its marketing
15. Kellogg also divided its market into segments and this segmentation is mainly based on
the behavioural factors of the consumers,
16. It participates in many social and organizational events to make its brand image into the
mind of the consumers.
2. Uncle Sam
3. Nestle Ltd
4. General mills
Factors For Success
1. Innovative marketing and brand-building
• Kellogg India has been taking various initiatives to overcome the low awareness of
• Sustained brand-building through advertising and investment behind key brands,
• Introducing a limited edition Kellogg’s Chocos Spider Man 2 “web designed cereal”
which is part of the global association between Kellogg Company and the movie Spider
• Conducting school contact programmes and having active interface with opinion leaders –
CFTRI, the government, independent agencies etc,
• Adopting brand names that appeal to the Indian consumer such as ‘Shakti’, meaning
• Using packaging as an effective marketing tool, for brand communication and on-shelf
• Image building through recycling and reusing, improving access to health and human
services in local communities.
2. Efficient supply chain network
Price sensitive customers necessitated a constant focus on cost reduction and supply chain
efficiency enhancement in India. Kellogg India has taken several initiatives in this area:
• Localised the entire raw and packing material requirement, saving import duty. In
addition it has adopted single sourcing strategy achieving scale efficiencies,
• Located its manufacturing plant at Taloja, near Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra, which
is the largest market for breakfast cereals in the country thereby optimising transportation
• Set up a distribution network with storage hubs in all the key states of the country (18
clearing and forwarding agents) serving over 200 distributors providing a good reach.
3. Customising products for India
Over time Kellogg India has widened its product portfolio and expanded its range to include
Frosties, chocolate-flavoured scoops and taste variants of CornFlakes. Kellogg India also
adapted its products to address the local need gaps. For example it enhanced its focus on
iron and calcium fortification with products like Iron Shakti (meaning iron power) and
Kellogg India is largest player in the breakfast cereals market. It has Investments of over
US$ 30 million.
Kellogg Company views India as a very important market with a great future. Taking a
longer-term perspective, Kellogg India is planning to continue its investment in
communication of categories and brands to grow the breakfast cereal market.