1. Summary of Professional Experience and the updated CV
I have been in the fields of Human Resource Management (HRM), Human Resource
Development (HRD) and administration for the past 20 years out of which over fourteen
years in HR leadership positions at senior management level in two global organizations
and one corporate sector organization. During past fourteen years as a senior HR
professional/ Generalist, I have been in an active part in the development of the business
/ country strategic plans in both global organizations and provided strategic inputs with
regard to the human resource management and organizational development (OD). I
have provided HR leadership to these organizations by contributing to strategic
management decisions, streamlining HRM, implementing strategic HRM and managing
organizational change effectively in difficult situations.
Currently, I am working as a Freelance Consultant and a Visiting Lecturer. I worked at
Premium International as its General Manager - Human Resources for 6 months, Oxfam
GB (for six and half years) and Plan International (6 years) both are two leading global
organizations as Country Human Resources Manager at senior management level. I
have also worked at HDFC Bank as its Executive HR & Administration (for 2 and half
years) and at Sanken Lanka (Pvt) Ltd as an Assistant Administrative Officer (for 4 years).
I have a progressive experience in leading and motivating people including
professionally sound international staff in the HR department. I have provided leadership
and strategic directions to HR function managing HR processes including recruitment,
learning and development, performance management, compensation and benefit
management, employee relations, etc., I have a good knowledge and experience on HR
business partnering that I have closely worked with functional/operational heads and
provided professional advice to the heads of the organizations and functional/operational
heads on people management, performance management, HRD and other HRM issues.
I do also have hands on experience in managing /maintaining HRIS (PeopleSoft) too.
Possess broader knowledge on industrial relations including local labour laws which
support my hands on experience in executing disciplinary procedures,
handling/conducting domestic inquiries, drafting show cause notices, warning letters etc.,
attending Labour Department inquiries, LT matters, court cases and close association
with the panel of lawyers at the Employers’ Federation of Ceylon (EFC). I have also
handled compliance issues with key stakeholders and ensured all statutory requirements
2. I have broader knowledge and experience of Performance Management System
(PMS). I was able to streamline the performance management system (PMS), and
helped managers to develop key performance indicators (KPIs) at Premium
International, Oxfam GB and Plan and was able to avoid cultural barriers and convince
the line management and the staff of the key objectives and importance of the PMS.
I have prepared annual Learning and Development (L & D) plans, developed
training modules (support packs) and facilitated training sessions both at local and
regional levels (at Asia regional HR forums) to address the short-term as well as long-
term development needs of people and support the career progression coupled with
talent management initiatives. I do have good presentation skills too.
Possess broader knowledge of local and international HR trends and hands on
experience in implementing global best HR practices, reviewing global HR policies and
procedures in line with local contexts and drafting and developing new HR policy
documents. This exposure gives me confidence to develop HR policies and procedures
to any organization in line with industry standards. I was a part of the team to develop
the HR Strategy for Asian Region in Oxfam GB and then developed an HR Strategy for
I am being an active and leading member of the Institute of Personnel Management
(IPM) do have close relationships with the key actors in the corporate sector and leading
academic institutions (both government and private universities) in Sri Lanka. I am a
part-time HR consultant and a visiting lecturer at IPM.
In addition, my academic and professional background would also equally
complement for this position. Currently, I am reading for PhD in Management at the
University of Sri Jayewardenepura. I have obtained an MBA in Human Resource
Management from the Postgraduate Institute of Management (PIM) University of Sri
Jayewardenepura (USJ), a National Diploma in Human Resource Management from the
National Institute of Business Management (NIBM), and Certificate course in
Competency Based Human Resources Management from the ILO campus in Turin, Italy.
I am an associate member of the Institute of Personnel Management (IPM) and a
professional member of the Association of HR Professionals.
I am an innovative senior HR professional and a visionary thinker in HRD with a wide
range of knowledge and experience in the fields of strategic human resource management
(SHRM) and HRD. Expertise in organizational development (OD), change management,
organizational restructuring, HR business partnering, general management, HR policy
drafting and development, counseling, reward management, performance management,
employee relations and industrial relations. Communicate well at all levels and possess
strong people management skill, the ability in managing, developing and motivating
teams to achieve team objectives. Possess strong leadership, interpersonal, analytical,
conceptual negotiation, and problem solving skills and dedicated to maintain high quality
standards of work and able to inspire any organization. My business acumen immensely
helps me to rightly align HR strategies with the business strategy and strengthen the
vision of the organization.
• Reading for the PhD in Management at the University of Sri
Jayewardenepura. The research area is Strategic Human Resource
• Obtained an MBA in Human Resources Management from the Postgraduate
Institute of Management (PIM), University of Sri Jayewardenepura, 2010.
• Obtained a Certificate in Competency Based Human Resource
Management (CBHRM) from ILO Campus, Turin, Italy 2008 (Received a
fellowship from the Government of Italy).
• Obtained a National Diploma in Personnel Management from the National
Institute of Business Management (NIBM), Sri Lanka 1998.
Summary of Professional Experience
I have been in the fields of human resource management, administration and logistics
management for the past 20 years out of which 14 years at senior management level in the
corporate sector and the development sector. I was attached to two global organizations
and held the position of Acting Country Director several times when the Country Director
position was vacant and country directors were on home leave.
I have the ability to think strategically and act effectively in organizational
management and possess strong leadership skills, conceptual skills, people management
skills, effective communication skills, strong change management skills etc.,
I have also been working as a Management Consultant. The consultancy areas are
organizational development, corporate management, human resource management,
change management including restructuring organizations, reward management including
pay market surveys, etc.
4. Key Highlights of hands on experience
• Developed HR Road Map and implemented at Premium International (Pvt) Ltd.
• Prepared technical skills inventory to share with prospective overseas suppliers
followed by the preparation of L & D plan and its implementation.
• Led and managed the change management processes at Oxfam GB in the year
2009, 2011 and 2013 ensuring the best talents were retained.
• Developed new organizational structures in line with National Change Strategy
(NCS), reviewed job profiles and developed new job profiles for all new positions
including a competency mapping.
• Introduced HR Business partnering and expended HR role at Oxfam GB.
• I was a part of the team that developed the People Strategy (HR Strategy) for Asia
Region at Oxfam GB and its implementation across the region.
• I was a Co-facilitator of annual HR Forums held regionally for Asia Region for
six consecutive years from 2008 to 2013.
• Designed, developed and conducted/ facilitated orientation training for new staff
and re-orientation training for existing staff at Oxfam GB.
• Designed, developed and conducted/ facilitated performance management training
at Oxfam GB and Plan Sri Lanka to re-orient staff. Streamlined the PMS and
inculcated performance driven culture in these organizations.
• Undertook employee opinion surveys (Employee attitude surveys in 2008 and
2011 and made changes and improvements to management processes and revisited
organizational practices based on the results.
• Prepared annual L & D plans for six consecutive years and successfully
implemented at Oxfam GB which was a mandate for HR Manager.
• Undertook pay market surveys for 6 consecutive years from 2007 to 2012 and
ensured competitive pay packages for staff at Oxfam GB.
• Reviewed HR policies, drafted policy documents and developed new polices
including the Staff Handbook at Oxfam GB.
• Coordinated the Staff Attitude Surveys at Plan International (Plan Sri Lanka) in
2002 and 2006 (Consultant was the Hay Group in the United Kingdom).
• Formulated and executed pay and benefit structure including reviewing and
updating all existed job profiles at Plan International in 2001.
5. • Performed as the Country Director at Oxfam GB time to time when the position
was vacant due to visa issues of expatriates for over 3 – 4 months.
Organization Period Position Key Job Responsibilities
Presently, working as a Freelance Consultant and a Tutor
Head of Human
Managed the HR function in
line with business priorities,
provided HR business
partnering to achieve shared
contributed to corporate
thoughts and assisted the
Board of Directors for
planning and implementation
of business activities, and
managed the entire general
Worked as a Freelance Consultant during the period from July 2013 to June 2014 and
undertaken consultancy assignments.
Manager (Head of
I was the Acting
(CD) every time
when the CD
vacant time to time
due to visa issues
of expatriate CDs.
Provided strategic leadership
to the HR function, provided
advised senior management
on employment practices,
contributed to the operational
planning and implementation
of corporate HR and
(OD) initiatives, provided HR
business partnering, member
of South Asia regional HR
team, led and managed the
managed the general
administration matters etc.,
Manager (Head of
Provided strategic leadership
to the HR function, advised
and guided the country
management team on HR
matters, people management,
development, led and
managed the restructuring
process, developed HR
6. HDFC Bank Start Date:
Coordinated and supported
the Manager of HR in the
implementation of all HR
processes, led the PMS and T
& D, and administration.
Personnel management of all
local staff, general
administration and, handled
compliance issues and
insurance maters of
• Visiting Lecturer at the Business School of the Institute of Personnel
• Research Supervisor for students reading for Professional Qualifications in
Human Resource Management (PQHRM) at the Business School of the
Institute of Personnel Management (IPM).
• Associate Member of the Institute of Personnel Management Inc, Sri
• Professional Member of the Association of HR Professionals, Sri Lanka.
• Being Oxfam Managers’ Training, a management development training which
is tailored for senior managers in key leadership positions, April 2007, Sri
• Workshop on Training of Trainers, September 2007 and follow-up session in
December 2007 at RedR United Kingdom.
• Workshop on Organizational Behaviors and job specific competencies 22 – 31
March 2003, in the Philippines.
• CONNECT! Management Development Training, 7 – 12 October, Bangkok,
• PLAN Managers’ Orientation Workshop, 18 – 28 June 2002, United Kingdom
and the Netherlands.
• Workshop on Frontline Development, 26 – 31 March 2002, Bangkok,
7. • Attended the Asia HR Forums at Oxfam GB for the past six consecutive years
(from 2007 to 2012) and contributed to planning modules and facilitated
CSR/ Professional Commitments:
• Was a Member of the National HR Issues, Stakeholder Relations and Research
Publications and HR Related Surveys Committee headed by Dr. Ajantha
Dharmasiri at the Institute of Personnel Management (IPM)
• Was the Deputy Leader of the Committee working towards National HR
Issues (a sub-committee of the above)
• Providing regular advice to leading INGOs on Change Management/
Restructuring processes and human resources management issues.
• Member of Editorial Committee at the Institute of Personnel Management
Consultancy Assignments Undertaken
• Consultancy on reviewing the organizational structure and existing job profiles
and developing job profiles for new positions followed by a job evaluation
exercise concomitant with a pay market survey for Brien Holden Vision Institute,
an INGO based in Australia, July 2013 – September 2013.
• I was a retaining consultant to Future Waves (Pvt) Ltd and provided advice on
global contracts, labour laws and employment tax etc. July 2013 – October 2013.
• Consultant to Oxfam GB and Oxfam Australia for Single Management Structure
and its legal compliance, July 2013 – September 2013.
• Undertaken a Reward Management Survey in 2011 for ten (10) leading INGOs
(Care, Save the Children, World Vision, Plan, Norwegian Refugee Council,
Oxfam Australia, Danish Refugee Council, Child Fund, Forut, WUSC, and Care
Refugee Netherlands) operated in Sri Lanka and supported them to formulate and
execute competitive pay structures and benefit schemes in their organizations. I
was commissioned by the Consortium for Humanitarian Agencies (CHA).
• Resource Person for Inter Agency Collaboration of International Non-
Governmental Organizations. Advised on organizational development (OD),
change management, organizational restructuring, reward management and legal
requirements for restructuring and staff redundancies, 2009 – 2014.
8. Nationality : Sri Lankan
Civil Status : Married/ One Child
Non - Related Referees:
Dr. Ajantha Dharmasiri
Postgraduate Institute of Management
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Colombo, Sri Lanka
T.P: + 94 11 2689639 (official)
+ 94 77 7766687 (mobile)
E-mail: email@example.com (official)
Mrs. Helen Suwannawongse
Regional Human Resources Manager
Asia Regional Management Centre,
Oxfam Great Britain
T.P: +662 632 0033
+662 632 0038
Mr. Paul Joicey
Oxfam GB Sri Lanka (Currently the
Country Director in Myanmar)
E- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. S. Thalayasinghem
T. P: +94 11 2587289 (Res)
+ 94 71 4779463 (Mobile)
The particulars given above are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Signature of Applicant Date