Who made the first music video?
• In the 1920-1940s the first musical short film was created these were
created for Blues Artists such as Bing Crosby and Billie Holliday.
• In the 1960’s Television coverage of pop music targeted Teens with
‘Top of the pops’ This led to the creation of short promo films for the
• However it wasn’t until 1980 when MTV created a platform for music
videos as this 24h channel for music
• The first music video on MTV was the Buggles ‘Radio Killed the radio
How has the music video evolved?
• The Music video culture took off after the 1980’s due to in-expensive
camera equipment. This kit was easy to use.
• The development of special effects could attract the viewers attention
making music video more popular within the viewer and the creators
• Artists could now create music videos with ease as they were now
affordable with high profitable turn arounds.
• European version of MTV launched in 1987.
• It Began to develop a wider range of music genres, e.g. rap, indie.
• Music video is now fundamental as a way of promoting music artists.
• Many new artists used music video as a way to showcase their talents
rather than live performances, e.g. Madonna. Many female stars used
music video very successfully to propel them to stardom.