#DigitalPriorities Digital Marketing Priorities 2018 brought to you by
Digital Marketing Trends 2018:
From AI and AMPs to DMPs and PWAs
Dr Dave Chaffey, co-founder and
Content Director, Smart Insights
• AI and Machine Learning
• AMPs and PWAs
• DMPs including CDPs
• RACE Lifecycle optimization
Smart Insights 2018 Digital marketing trends article
Co-founder and Editor of
SmartInsights.com - a marketing
advice community with > 1/2
Premium members in over 100
countries use our planning
guides, templates and online
courses to Plan, Manage and
Optimise their digital marketing.
We also offer consulting and
training for members.
Digital Marketing strategist, consultant, trainer and author since ‘97
About Dave Chaffey
Before we start… house keeping
• A recording for the webinar will be sent via Email
• Slides will be available via Smart Insights Slideshare
• Please get involved with the interactions:
• Share viewpoints or questions via #DigitalPriorities
• Give your views in the votes
• Do ask questions at any point via the Questions panel
• We will leave c10 minutes for questions at the end
How do your digital marketing skills rate?
https://www.smartinsights.com/personalized-learning-plan/ - Free digital skills assessment
… and your digital marketing capabilities?
https://www.smartinsights.com/capability-grader/ - Free capability review
AI and Machine Learning
Practical marketing applications of artificial intelligence
AI experimentation example
• We wanted to ensure that we’re bringing data-informed
decision making to the forefront of our processes by
establishing a true data and experimentation culture
that could ultimately become a competitive advantage in
today’s fast-changing world.
• Zalando has always been a data-driven company and
analytics has been one of our key success factors. We
believe that much of the success (or failure) of a product
rides on data, and on how it is used.
• This brought about the following question: How can we
elevate Zalando to the next level of data-informed
decision making? This is how the Product Analytics
department came to life.
Predictive analytics for automation example
Analysis of historical
customer profile data
Pros and Cons?
+ Rapid install + download = better results
+ Less data transfer and can potentially work
+ Potentially single code base rather than separate
Web vs iOS/Android native apps
+ Magento2 support
- Rely on ‘Web App Manifest’ and ‘Service Workers’
- Apple don’t support yet in Webkit/iOS/Safari
- React Native is another standard used by
- Lack of skills since new?
Example of testing USPs/OVPs
• An A/B test that included USPs on the
homepage resulted in a 6.2% increase in new
visitor conversion rate and a 3.7% increase in
overall conversion rate.
• Following this, Eurostar created targeted
messaging for registered users to increase
the number of registrations on site to help
improve their customer insights.
• Generating significant double-digit increases
in conversions for new users
Recommendation – report your MoM and YoY
channel deltas through Google Analytics API
Smart Insights RACE Digital Marketing Dashboard for Google Sheets
Google’s Data Studio is a new option that uses GAAPI