2. A Relationship is a bond between individuals
who share commonalities through a state of
We all expect certain outcomes from the
relationships we build.
Developing positive relationships is fundamental
for many reasons.
Parents, students and teachers should all build
positive relationships in order for excellence to
3. To adopt a structure of unity
Develop effective communication and self-
We learn about ourselves through others that we
interact with (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, likes,
Develop companionship and interpersonal skills
Identify your role and purpose in the relationship
4. As a teacher, you have a specific roles and
purposes in the classroom:
Instruct and Educate the students
Nurture and Develop the students
Role Model for students
Guide and Direct students
6. Make sure your students have understood what
has been said and what is required of them.
• Make sure lessons are properly explained and all questions are
Communicate regularly with parents and ensure
positive feedback is given.
• Create a simple forum for parents & teachers to communicate
Talk with other teachers so that you are all on
the same agenda.
• Have weekly staff meetings to discuss syllabus etc..
7. Set POSITIVE and REALISTIC expectations and goals
for your students so that they work to meet these
• Ask students what goals they would like to achieve
and what they expect from you as a teacher.
Let their parents know what you expect of them and
their child and ensure they help maintain the
expectations you have set.
• Ask parents about their expectations of you and
their child in the classroom.
Convey what you expect of other teachers so that
they know your viewpoint and can give feedback if
8. Encourage your students to strive and let them
know you believe in them.
• Reward them when they perform well
Motivate their parents to work with their children
to achieve excellence.
• Send home motivating activities they can do together
Prompt other teachers to motivate their students
and encourage them to perform to the best of their
9. Correct and discipline students in a positive
manner and allow them to reflect on what they
have done wrong. Do not belittle your students.
Ensure that their parents instill positive correction
and discipline at home.
Allow parents to identify their child’s flaws and
encourage them to work with the child on ways
they can improve these flaws at home.
Influence other teachers to instill positive
correction rather than negative ones. Share your
strategies with them.
10. Let students know that you care about their
overall well being and development not just
their academic life.
• Show interest in their favourite hobbies, sports,
Let parents know they are appreciated and
needed and their role is important as well.
• Send weekly positive notes to the parents
Show other teachers that their contributions
are appreciated and they are cared for.
11. Eliminate any factors that contribute to stress.
Create a comfortable learning environment.
• Modify your lesson plans
• Take your students for a walk
• Have discussions etc…
Prevent parents from becoming frustrated and
overwhelmed with their child’s stress.
• Let them know they can express their concerns.
• Create an open forum for parent & teacher to vent issues.
Avoid teacher confrontations. Let other teachers
know they can vent to you and receive positive
12. Display a positive and enthusiastic attitude
towards your students. Let them know you
enjoy being their teacher.
When communicating with parents, always
maintain a positive approach and aura.
Show other teachers your positive outlook and
influence them to maintain this demeanor.
13. Always show your students that you respect
their beliefs, ideas, thoughts and viewpoint.
Show parents that they are respected and
that they do not think you are in a superiority
or authoritative position over them.
Respect other teachers and their methods,
techniques, strategies etc...
14. Exhibit humility towards your students so
that they do not feel “less than” or inferior
to you. Put students’ needs before your own.
Show parents that you can be quite humble
Show other teachers that you can be modest
and encourage them to display this with their
students as well
15. These are just a few practical ways that
teachers can develop and maintain a positive
relationship with their students, parents and
By following these guidelines, you are
guaranteed a positive outcome from all
Effective and efficient learning and
pedagogy would take place.
Teacher-Parent, Teacher-Student and
Teacher-Teacher relationships would be