4. Plate singing machines operations
In plate singeing the fabric is pass over
one or two curved plates of cupper with
size 1”-2” thickness.
Guide rollers are used to ensure the
enough contact of cloth with the plate
surface so that the projecting fibers are
removed without any damage.
5. Fig: Plate singeing machine
Parameters of singeing machines:
1. The plates are heated up to 150 °C.
2. Speed of the cloth is 135 to 225 meters per minute.
6. Roller singeing machine operations
1. In roller singeing machine fabric is passed
over a hallow cylinder of copper or cast
iron cylinder which is heated by internal
2. The cylinder revolves slowly opposite to
3. The face and back surface of the fabric
may be singed in single passage by using
8. Parameters of Flame singeing Machine:
1. Composition of flame
-1 part LPG (liquid petroleum gas)
-2 parts Air
2. Nature of flame
-Use oxidizing flame because it produces minimum amount
-Temperature of the flame is about 1300°C.
3. Distance of flame from fabric surface should be 1.5 to 4 mm.
4. Speed of the fabric
-Speed of the fabric depends upon quality of the fabric
-Speed of low quality fabric should be 120 meter per minute.
-Speed of High quality fabric should be 60 to 80 meter per
5. Angle of the flame
-Perpendicular to fabric structure(for heavy weight fabric)
-Tangential to fabric structure(for light weight fabric)
9. Zones of Gas Singeing Machine
There are five zones of singeing Machine
11. Gas flame singeing m/c
This is the most commonly used process for woven fabric.
In gas singeing machine both side of the fabric can be
singed in same time.
Normally two burner are used for both side singed. In this
machine the fabrics are passed through some guide roller
over the gas burner in open width as shown in the figure.
The length of the burner can be adjusted according to the
width of the fabric. The fabric passes over the burner at the
speed of 200-400 yard/min.
When the fabric passes over the burner, it burns the
projecting fiber from the surface of the fabric.
Brush is used for brushing the both sides of the fabric. After
singeing, the fabric is immersed in the water or desizing
tank to prepare next process.
12. INDIRECT systems
• Thermal energy produced by the source is used for
burning the fibers and there is no contact between the
heat source and fabric. Example– Radiation Singeing.
• Here fire-proof ceramic blocks are heated to a high
temperature, which radiate infrared radiation. This
radiation can heat the fibers to such an extent that
they can burn.
The advantage of indirect singeing are:
• No Flame Contact, hence safer approach
• Uniform Singeing, as radiation can be distributed
uniformly around a fabric surface.
13. Problems in Gas Singing
1) Uneven singeing -------------->can lead to
2) Thermal Damage --------------> due to high
3) Stop Offs --------------> whenever the
machine stops, excessive localized
heating may result in Heat Bars
4) Creasing --------------> Dyeing Streaks
5) Size Hardening --------------> Difficulty in
15. Yarn Singeing
• Textile yarns are singed for applications
like sewing thread, where the resistance
caused by protruding fibers during high
speed sewing needs to be lowered. The
high friction may lead to a lot of frictional
heat generation, leading to damage to
fabric and frequent yarn breakage.
16. Yarn Singeing
• Yarn Singeing machines are
required to prepare bright
and lustrous yarn with
smooth surface as in case of
sewing and embroidery
A hairy and a singed yarn
17. Yarn Singeing
• The machine consists of a number of suitably
sized gas jet burners equal to the number of
package to be handled by the machine. The
yarn passing from a big package is allowed to
meet jet burners and the singed yarn is
rewound on a smaller package.
• Nowadays electrical burners heated to about
1,100°C are used for the purpose of assuring
18. • Nowadays electrical burners heated to about
1,100°C are used for the purpose of assuring
22. Testing singeing effectiveness
The effectiveness of singeing process can
be checked by one or more of the
By looking at the singed fabric with
magnifying glass and comparing its
hairiness with that of the un-singed fabric.
A well-singed fabric shows less hairiness.
By testing the singed fabric for pilling
performance and comparing it with that of
the un-singed fabric. A well-singed fabric
gives less pilling.
24. Testing singeing effectiveness
By sticking and removing a sticking tape
on the singed fabric and observing the
number of fibers attached to the sticking
side of the tape. A well-singed fabric
results in less number of fibers sticking on