PI’s Capability to: Initiating or starting a photoreaction
This occurs when a PI absorbs radiation energy, from light exposure to produce
highly reactive free radicals
• These have the capability of catalyzing or starting
chemical reactions, or changes in certain formulated
• One such photo initiator is Benzophenone.
• Benzophenone (BP) or Benzo, has been generally recognized as
the most used PI globally.
• It is known for its effectiveness as:
• an initiator
• its relative low cost.
• The European Printing Ink Association (EuPIA) has published a listing of
PIs used in:
• coatings, inks and varnishes for the non-contact side of food packaging.
• These are listed as Group 1-For all packaging types.
• 1A-low migration potential with toxicological data.
• 1B-low migration potential and/or high molecular weight, awaiting
• 1C-evaluated with a migration limit in accordance with EU RG. No.
10/2011, and/or Swiss Ord. 817.023.21.
• The 1C list includes Benzophen-one and derivatives.
Group 2-lists PIs not fully
evaluated specifying use
only with a metal barrier.
This has resulted in
requesting that certain PIs
with migration potential not
be used on their (in-direct
contact) food packaging
In other moves, raw
continue to develop:
• Self-curing resin solutions
• New large molecule
• Low migration
• Low odor polymeric
• Co initiators.
price drivers for
• Endarsiwi, Sugeng is a Printing & Ink Technology Expert with a passion for observed and
sharing information on technical topics. He has over 20 years of industry experience in Printing,
including Printing industrial and Printing Ink technology.
• Graduated School Business & Management (EMBA), JUC, Malaysia.
• Registered as Professional Engineer (Ir.) at The Institution of Engineers Indonesia (PII).
• Holds Chartered Management Association as CMA-HK SAR, Hong Kong
• Study Postgraduate: Leadership & Public Policy Program (MAP) at UEU, Jakarta