How Ventura County GSA Document Services is evolving from a traditional in-plant based on large print volume to one focused on BPM and document management services, to deliver content across both physical and electronic channels.
3. Future State
• Print is a commodity and is not viewed as Green.
• The Future is cloudy, competition is leveraged and local
• Paper usage will continue to decline. Mobile devices will
make great capture devices.
• Opportunities for Workflow BPM. Focus on the Lifecycle.
8. • Focus on doing more work in less time or with less
• Successful organizations deploy and use
technology and innovation to improve customer
service, decision making and data capture.
• It’s not paper you should be trying to save, its
• For maximum return focus on workflows –Process
9. How did we begin?
• We changed our vocabulary – beyond print
• We talked to your customers – what do they need?
• Capital Investment – platform and tools
• We got focused on creation – document design
• Deploy and report – ROI’s and a story
• Vendor Partners
17. Electronic Forms enables organizations to replace their existing
paper forms and processes with electronic versions accessible
from the web. Users can complete forms on-line and submit
them to a Content Management System for
collection, management, and automation of processes.
More than 75% of business processes depend on forms.
19. – Reduces the costs associated with
supplies, printing, storage, and
– Improve customer satisfaction and
response rates through improved
access and form design.
– Saves time. A fleeting moment to
define business cycles and
– Increase security with access and
data capture in a managed
– Promotes a “go green” message.
29. From Excel to Data Driven Change
Hard to find and read. Easy to find and analyze
30. P.simx.com/ simx/ 4R.stp?prm= rep&
Intuitive user interface, canned templates, unmatched layout flexibility and reporting variety facilitate
design of complex output forms and reports in a matter of hours, precisely to the client’s
Data as Subscription
34. ROI Snapshot
• We’re focusing on process and saving time
• Metrics help make and verify the business case
• Publish ROI studies
35. • Lower labor costs
• Remove manual steps
• Stop delays and waiting
• Create a Future State.
Build a Value Dashboard
Value = Qty * (soft labor + hard costs)
39. Revenue Goals
Document Channel Volume Trends (From
Output to Service)
On-time percentage 87% 91% 94%
Customer Satisfaction Survey X X X
Revenue per Employee $250,000 $275,000 $275,000
Digital Documents Printed 17,692,672 20,500,000 18,750,000
NEW- split from print volume - Documents
50,000 400,000 2,500,000
Integrated Variable Data Output Transactions 2,251,547 2,475,000 3,323,500
New E-Forms and Document Services
New Document Design Revenue $15,000 $25,000 $40,000
New Managed BPM Workflows 5 15 30
New E-Form Services and Revenue $25,000 $45,000 $100,000
New Document Management Licensing $7,500 $15,000 $25,000
* Data mock to make a point.
40. With electronic forms, customers can:
• reduce paper consumption, storage, and costs
• improve data accuracy
• define information security
• automate processes through form submission
• increase customer satisfaction
With electronic forms, In-Plants can:
• Unlock new revenue streams
• Future proof your business
• Increase customer satisfaction
41. What’s Next For Us?
• Fund more FTEs and vendor partnerships
• Increase our deployment pace and scheduling
• Monetize form access and data
• Maintain and improve digital platforms
• Move to Mobile
• Get competent in complexity and platform integrations
• Expand marketing reach and display growth/ROI’s
42. Face the Future
• The Future is cloudy, and mobile – best tools
• Paper usage may decline options
• Develop in house technical competency – partner
• Focus on process automation and efficiency –
This is what we are!
• The Future is service oriented
• Customers just expect things to work
• The Future is full of opportunity
IPMA 2013 Conference. SteveNelles, Ventura County. Presentation title: “Process Trumps Paper: Beyond Print to Digital Services.”Our story is how we are evolving from atraditional In-plant based on large print volume to one focused on BPM and document management services to deliver content across both physical and electronic channels. Competitive market. Eformsare a new revenue service.
Is this the look of innovation? As an in-plant manager there is a lot to do- Go Green.Stop Printing Paper. Competition. Cloud based competition. ISF pressure.
Off-load system administraionand services. Blurred boundaries.
The problem with. . .
To be viewed as a Print Shop limits what we can do.
Thankfully we have a vision. We are a technology company!
With tools to standon, launch a productivity story.
Expand our brand and breadth: solution provides.
Document Lifecycle needs a platform: Design. Data. Output.
Hospital Example: Value beyond print – content management is the service we provide.
Know the trends. As an example, the technology of electronic health records is a killer for print volume.
Don’t Panic. Evolve. Review service and products via the document lifecycle to determine if declining print volume can be replaced by other product offerings. What are the inputs to your goods and services?
We survey our customersto validate capital expenses and vision – and to market.
Demand is there. Where to start?
If you focus forms management on where the risk is (compliance) that is a good place to start automating workflows and where the volume is.
Be prepared to translate a Kaizen event into code!
Tools of the trade. Learn these. Tell a programmer what to do. Graphics plays a central role!
Start with a sketch. SIPOC
Make it flow.
Do not copy paper forms. Remove waste and focus on access.
Digitize your workflow.
Lose the paper and collect the data. Linked to customer’s goals and a resource.
eForms as capture. Create a service for data extraction and web presentation. Automate report creation.Focus on results. The quality of thought!I don’t run a Print Shop. I run a Think Shop.
User Experience. Starts with Creation. Key moment.
Accurate Data Capture. Eliminate clutter. Data with precision, look-ups.Can’t do this with paper. . .
Through design and data, you’ve delighted the customer. Create a ROI.Customer will pay for productivity.
Customers will pay for productivity. Create a value dashboard.
I’m working on creating a dashboard like this water fountain counter.
Every form has an URL link to a SQL table.
Service and Technology Company with a SaaS model.Budget and rate development to adapt to technology and staffing needs.E-form diversifies our revenue picture.