A Computer is Electronic device that can
retrieve the stored data
process data as desired and when required
output the result in desired format.
Components of a computer
• A computer have 2 core components –
What is Hardware?
• Hardware refers to the physical parts of a computer.
• The term hardware also refers to mechanical device that makes up
• User can see and touch the hardware components.
• Examples of hardware are CPU, keyboard, mouse, hard disk, etc...
What is Software?
• A computer software is a set of
instruction for a computer to perform a
Types of software
• System software
• It is designed to operate the computer hardware efficiently.
• Provides and maintains a platform for running application software.
• Examples: Windows, Linux, Unix etc.
• Application software
• It is designed to help the user to perform general task such as word
processing, web browser etc.
• Examples: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
• This is designed to support more than one user at a time.
• It possesses large storage capacity and operates at a higher speed.
• This type of computer is generally used for processing large volume of
data in an organization.
• Eg: Servers in Local Area Networks (LAN).
• They operate at very high speed, having
very large storage capacity and can handle
the work load of many users. They are
generally used in centralized databases.
• They are the fastest and most expensive machines.
• They have high processing speed compared toother computers. They
have also multiprocessing technique.
• Supercomputers are mainly being used for whether forecasting,
biomedical research, and other areas of science and technology