O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Table of Content
1. Introduction of Friends of Pimville
3. Organisational Structure
The friendsofPimville Library was formed inOctober 2009
• The legal status underthe Social Development is NPOnumber: 080-002
• The friendsprimarilyFunctionsat Pimville Library
• One of the primary objectivesisto promote,stimulate and increase general interestin,and
awarenessof, the servicesthat publiclibrariesprovide and oftheir educational,social and
Cultural role in the community;
• To addressthe social issuesthat inhibitmembersof the community that wish to utilize the
servicesof the library; and to presentsolutionsto suit the needs of the under privileged.
• To promote the activitiesof libraries,includinglectures,discussions, exhibitions,films,
newsletters,storytellingforchildren,retail sales, fundraising,educational tours, etc.
• The friendsstarted conductingBook Club sessionsat the library since the inceptionofthe
body structure herewithmentioned.
• We therefore were allowedan opportunityto host book clubsat the activity room withinthe
library by the library manager.
• The Friendsof Pimville Librarywere officiallyhandedthe certificate ofregistration by the
Department of Social DevelopmentinMay 2010.
• Initiallythe Friendshad 7 membersto effectivelyestablishthemselves(2009).
• The numbersescalatedto 22 membersin (2010).
• Followedwithby an impressive 45 membersin (2011).
• The current membershipofthe FriendsofPimville Library stands at 75 active members
• We have beenfortunate enoughto also establishrelationshipswith5 other corporate
institutionsyetthe projectedmembershipfor2012 is 20.
• Cultural Organisationstill stands at 0; the projectedmembershipfor2012 is 20.
• Relationshipwithother NGO/ NPO’sstands at 0, the projectedmembershipis20.
• One ofthe best methodthe friendshas utilizedingainingindividual membershipisthrough
book club’sghost calling usingthe library’s attendance registerto invite new membersof the
• The current strategy at hand is to involve more schools to be part of the Friendsof Pimville
• Membershipforindividual membershipisfree ofcharge howeverthere’sa fee of R 100. 00
will be requestedforcorporate membership.The roll out to start charging for corporate
membershipwill commence once the SARS Tax exemptcertificate isissuedto the Friendsof
• Corporate membershipandother organisation’s membershipwill be linkedwitha certificate
issuedto that particular organisation or institutionand corporate structure joiningthe
Friendsof Pimville Library.
• The certificate issuedwill lapse after 12 months therefore require reactivationof
3. Organisational Structure
• The organisational structure consists of sixexecutive members.
• The structures portfoliosinclude:
- Project Manager
• The challenge at hand is the functioningofthe appropriate portfolioofficersas there’s
constant change due to other personal commitmentsfrom memberse.g.School and work
• The Friendshave requestedthe servicesof the eldercommunitymemberswho have shown
enormoussupport for the state of the nation’s educationsystem.
• The advisors board formedby the friendsincludessixmembershence four membersare
constantly helpingthe friendson occasional basis.
• The friendsrepresentand promote the servicesofthe Publiclibrary.
• The friendsalso largelyconsiderthe community’sneedsand expectationsto be addressedor
fulfilledbythe Publiclibrary services.
• The friendshave in the past been involvedon numerouseventsto visiblytake part in
educational and social activities.
• The friendspresentlyhostBook Clubsessionsbi-monthly.
• We have taken part in the MandelaDay Celebration(2010 – 2011).
• Attendedthe Annual Friendsof JohannesburgPublicLibraries Book Sale (2010 -2012).
• Attendedthe Africa Day Book Fair Celebration(2011).
• Taken part in the Annual Jozi Book Fair (2011).
• The Friendsare currently conductinga recyclingproject.
• The friendsrenovatedthe library’s bag card system.
• The friendshave conducted numerouscommunity awarenessinitiativeswithinthe vicinityof
Pimville andthroughout Soweto.
• There has beena string of training and developmentsskillsworkshopsdone organizedby the
• The friendshave managed to secure the servicesof the Life Line Counselors’onsite withinthe
library for the public.
• The friendshave beenprivilegedtoconduct book signing sessionsinconjunctionwith Van
Schaik Book store since 2010.
• The book signingsessionsincludedthe likesofthe following:
- ProfessorPitika Ntuli – Author,Scholar, TV personality(PitikaNtuli’sarts collection).
- Fred Khumalo– Author – (Zuluboy gone crazy).
- NdumisoNgcobo – Author and Radio personality(Some of my friendsare white and
- Thato Wamogogodi – Author (South African Talktionary – Dictionary of Slang).
- VeronicaMathebula - Author (Dare to Dream and Dreams do come true).
4.1 Current Projects
• Sign language for the library staff and the community (WitsCentre for Deaf Studies).
• Workshopson publishing,selfpublishinganddistributions.
• Addressingchallengesofstudy groups in the community.
• Friendsof SowetoLibraries.
• Help2read campaign.
• Unisaliteracy campaign.
• Dial a nerd– computer donations.
• Consolidatingall 17 Soweto libraries.
• Establisha body of writers.
• Puppetshow for local crèchesand primary schools.
• Fun day – All primary schools.
• Readerthonschools competition.
• Adopt a library initiative.
• Fund raising.
In conclusion,I would like to thank the entire city of Johannesburgfor allowingsuch an initiative to
take place inthe townshipand to thank the Friendsof JohannesburgLibrariesfor all the helpthey
have done for the Friendsof Pimville Library.It has beenan overwhelmingexperience toalsomix up
or socialize with various friendsofother librariesin Johannesburgthrough the monthlymeetingsthat
take place at Solomon Streetin Braamfonteinorganized by the Friendsof JohannesburgLibraries.
The friendsofPimville / SowetoLibraries have identifiedthatSowetohas differentchallengesin
terms of the geographical locationof libraries.Librarieshave their specificneedsthat needsto be
addressedor accomplishedtherefore the friendshave made a commitmentto play a pivotal role in
assistingeducational activitiesin all spheres.
The friendshave recentlyestablishedrelationshipswithlocal primary and secondary schoolsin
managing the schoolslibraries.The aforementionedproject hascommencedsince April 2012.
The friendshave also beenawarded the privilege tobe on the board of the Friendsof Johannesburg
I would like to thank you for your continuedsupport inthis regard.
Friendsof Pimville /Soweto Libraries
081 304 5768
086 72 6868 7