2. Prevalence of Arthritis in India
“Though diabetes, CVDs, and related disease
are one of the most prevalent ailments
affecting Indians, a recent study suggests
that osteoarthritis beats all others to
claim the No. 1 spot among ailments in
the country. Even the level of awareness
being limited to a select few.”
The Times of India, New Delhi, 6th NOV 2010
4. Prevalence of Arthritis in India
• Total anti-arthritic market of almost Rs 160
crores (IMS MAT FEB12) predominantly
includes supplements like Glucosamine,
Chondroitin combinations, Diacerein etc.
• Moreover, the NSAIDs that are extensively
prescribed in chronic ailments like
osteoarthritis adds a many crores more to
Source : IMS MAT FEB12
5. A growing market
A variety of factors are driving sales of Joint & Bone nutraceuticals
6. What is Osteoarthritis
• Osteoarthritis being a wear & tear
disease of cartilage.
• Characterized by a breakdown of the
joint's cartilage, causing bones to rub
against one another, lead to loss of
movement & pain.
• Hence, anything new for a doctor & a
patient may serve as a ray of hope.
7. Thinning of Cartilage
When the natural regeneration process can’t keep up with
daily wear and tear, joint cartilage can break down.
Leading to thinning of cartilage.
8. Thick elastic rubbery gel
with smooth glassy shine
Unique tissue- No nerves,
blood vessels or lymphatic
Nutrition from synovial
fluid which bathes it and
fluid diffusing from
18. Osteoarthritis Management
Most Expensive option & longer
High Side effect profile makes it a
Expensive & painful, needs
specialized trained Dr. to administer
Provides only symptomatic relief &
doesn’t address important issue
Works well only in
• The possible effects of glucosamine sulfate in patients with
osteoarthritis may be the result of its
• Stimulation of the synthesis of proteoglycans,
• Decrease in catabolic activity of chondrocytes
inhibiting the synthesis of proteolytic enzymes and
• Anti-inflammatory activity.
• A typical dosage of glucosamine salt is 1,500 mg per day.
• Glucosamine is often sold in combination with other
supplements such as Chondroitin sulfate and MSM .
• Onset of action is slow.
21. Chondroitin Sulfate
• Decrease in catabolic activity of chondrocytes inhibiting the
synthesis of proteolytic enzymes, nitric oxide and other
substances that contribute to damage cartilage matrix and
cause death of articular chondrocytes.
• The dosage of oral chondroitin used in human clinical trials is
800–1,200 mg per day.
• Slower onset of action
23. Hyaluronic Acid
• Increasing synovial fluid levels of hyaluronic acid improving its
viscosity, and freedom of joint movement.
• Decreasing levels of prostaglandins improving pain relief,
• Having effects on these parameters for only 6 months.
• Expensive & painful injections.
24. Bridging the “Need” Gap
• No alternative therapy is available in the market for the
stimulation of collagen in joint cartilage of OA patients.
• Collagen Hydrolysate is the only product which helps restores
joint cartilage through chondrocyte stimulation.
• Whereas supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin
sulphate acts only on proteoglycans stimulation and lack action
on Collagen regeneration.
25. Role of Collagen Hydrolysate
• >90% of orally administered Collagen is digested and
absorbed in 6 hours after ingestion.
• Collagen stimulates the anabolic phase of the cartilage matrix
turnover by acting on chondrocytes.
• Collagen increases the concentration of type II collagen and
proteoglycans through chondrocytes stimulation.
26. Role of Collagen Hydrolysate
• Collagen stimulates chondrocytes, which are responsible for
the maintenance of the extracellular matrix through cartilage
28. Anti - Arthritic market
• Total anti-arthritic preparation market is Rs 218 Cr.with a growth of 26%.
• A very homogenous market with many different combinations prevailing in this
• Glucosamine/combinations are Rs 80Cr market growing at 18%.
MAT_APR_12 MS% GR%
M05B-ANTI-ARTHRITIC PREP. Solids Mkt
2302.2 100.0 21.7 19573.8
ADEMETIONINE 528.5 23.0 63.5 1735.4
GLUCOSAMINE 186.8 8.1 18.6 1611.0
Glucosamine Combination 1042.5 45.3 34 10101
29. Collagen Hydrolysate Market
• Collaflex on active promotion by sanofi.
• Zedfit launched later has also gained momentum with >40% growth.
Dataset: IMS SSA Feb’12
Val in Lacs
PRODUCT DESC VAL MAT ~ 04/2012 % M.S % GR
ALL INDIA 49,614,381 100.00 29.21
COLLAFLEX S0F 49,250,615 99.28 29.74
ZEDFIT TAB 25,953 0.68 999.00
GELFIX AMB 2,032 0.00 233.66
• CH market skewed to metros & class I cities, except
conservative market like chennai.
• 3 metros Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi contributes more than 40%
to total CH market.
ANTIARTHRITIC AGENTS 20.9 21.4 2.5 2.3 78.9 77.1 6.9 7.7 43.8 46.4 5.3 3.6 34.9 39.2 2.0 2.0
GLUCOSAMINE + MICRONUTRIENTS 2.8 2.7 1.4 1.3 6.9 9.1 2.2 3.2 3.2 2.4 1.3 0.4
REWALK TAB[DYOTA NUMAND] 0.2 0.4 1.7 1.2 0.8 2.5 5.4 1.8
LUBRIJOINT PLUS TAB[WALLACE-LIFE] 0.3 0.3 1.2 1.4 2.1 2.4 1.7 1.6
CARTISAFE FORTE TAB[JENBURKT PH] 0.2 0.2 1 0.7 0.3 0.6 0.9 0.9
ADMINE TAB[ADLEY Lab] 0.1 0.1 0.7 0.7 0.6 0.9 2.4 0.4
ARTHAR TAB[ADMAC Ph.] 0.1 0.1 0.6 1.3
DIACEREIN+GLUCOSAMINE (S) 2.6 2 1.8 1.7 26.6 22.2 2.4 2.8 8.6 2.8 1.7 2.5 5.6 5.2 1.3 1.4
CARTIGEN DUO CAPS[PHARMED] 0.4 0.5 1.4 1.2 5.6 4 1.8 2.2 1.4 1.4
DURAJOINT-GM TAB[PHL-PAIN MAN] 0.3 0.5 1.7 1.4 3.2 6.5 1.9 1.6
CARTISAFE D TAB[JENBURKT PH] 0.2 0.2 1.2 1 1.9 1 1.2 0.6 1.2 1.1 3.4 0.9
HILIN- GM TAB[DRL--RHEU] 0.2 0.2 2.5 4 2.8 3.7 1.2 5.4
KONDRO ACUTE TAB[PBL-PROCARE] 0.3 0.2 1.8 2.4 6.3 4.9 1.9 2.7 1.7 3
CARTISAFE D OD TAB[JENBURKT PH] 0.1 1 0.7 0.7
COLLAGEN PEPTIDES 0.6 1 1.7 1.2 5.4 12.6 2.1 1.4
COLLAFLEX SACHET[UML] 0.5 0.6 1.7 1.4 3.4 9.1 2.1 1.5
ZEDFIT POWDER[TABLETS-PH.] 0.2 0.5 1.3 0.8 2.7 4.6 1.5 0.8
CARTIVIN POWD[GRANDIX Ph.] 0.7
COLLAGEN GEL[UML] 0.6
LEFLUNAMIDE 0.8 0.7 1.4 2 5.7 6.9 3 4 2.4 1.7 3.7 4.8 3.8 1
LEFRA TAB[TPL - VISTA] 0.3 0.3 2.4 1.6 2.9 4.8 4.4 1.8 2.4 1.7 3.7 4.8
LEFNO TAB[IPCA-ACTIVA] 0.2 0.2 0.6 2.2 1.5 1.9 0.6 4.7
CLEFT TAB[RBXY-ORTHOLA] 0.2 0.1 1.1 4.2 1.7 0.6 1 14.4 3.8 0.5
ANTIARTHRITIC AGENTS.: Rxer Base & Per Capita Rx R
33. Prescription Potential
• Positive Market trend.
• Rising incidence of osteoarthritis.
• Ortho becomes the target speciality.
• Prescriber base has jumped from 5.4% to
12.5% of orthos.
34. Market Trend
• The trend in this market has revealed that along with NSAIDs,
the supplements that are co-prescribed have a major share in
anti-arthritic prescriptions, especially at the orthopedic level.
• The need is to furnish with something that adds value and
benefit to the doctor & patient as well.
37. Packaging & Price
Packing : 10gm Sachet
Secondary packing : 10g X 5 sachet Carton
Tertiary Packing : 1 X 10 cartons
Suggested MRP: Each Sachet of 10gm Rs.52
PTS : Rs.35.88
38. •Interesting & Important Concept: Will help collagen synthesis which products like Diacerin
does not tackle
•Adjunct to Glucosamine and Diacerin combinations for a shorter duration during the
initiation of therapy is encouraging
•Chondrocyte stimulation with collagen will help faster built-up of cartilage
•Patients who do not respond to the above combinations can also be given Collagen
•Improve our armamentarium in Osteoarthritis
•Sachets is a good formulation-since all other treatment options are in tablet/capsule forms,
good for geriatric patients
Dr Harish Bende, Dr Amit Azgaokar, Dr Swapnil Shah, Dr Coutino, Dr D.Shrinivas, Dr K Reddy,
Dr Dilip Panchal,
39. Key Marketing Issues, Critical Success Factors &
•Targeting skewed markets initially through focus on select drs.
•RTMs/PMS to address core prescribers in select cities
•Correct target identification
Critical Success Factors
•Communication – Selling through inferred logics
•Cost of therapy
Key Marketing Issues
•Dosage form since in liquid form, acceptance needs to be established
•Inadequate scientific support - Nutritional supplement
40. Marketing Objective
• Strengthening anti-arthritic product basket at ortho speciality
by offering unique product bridging existing gap of cartilage
synthesis in management of OA.
GLUGEN restores cartilage integrity
& retards OA progression
• Restores cartilage integrity by stimulating
• Retards progression of OA by addressing
70% dry cartilage component.
• Treats root cause of inflammation –
Cartilage damage in OA
• Simple to use with palatable taste
Objective differentiation criteria
vs. competition *
GLUGEN offers maximum joint care as it
Helps restore cartilage & prevent further
Damage to cartilage In OA
*: relevant to key factors driving the prescribing decision
45. Communication Strategy
• A new introduction to repair & prevent further damage to
cartilage in OA.
• Collagen Hydrolysate is the only product focus on70% of
• Regenerates joint cartilage through chondrocyte stimulation,
whereas supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin
sulphate acts only on proteoglycans stimulation and lack
action on Collagen regeneration.
• Completes the anti arthritis therapy .
52. Prelaunch Plan
• To conduct an RCPA of 10 Dr/PSR which are Orthos/CPs.
• Dr. should be a prolific prescriber of Glucosamine, chondroitin,
• Dr.List should be in descending order with highest potential dr
at the top.
• Objective quiz for PSR based on basic medical & marketing
attributes of Glugen.
• Glugen Masters Quiz will be initiated from -1 month of launch
, hence basics will be acquainted before launch
meeting.(Already done in April’12)
55. Promo Plan
• Scientific communication with role of Glugen in OA
• Create Brand awareness .
• Provide hands on experience to few select Dr. across the
country….PMS (200 Drs from Jul’12)
56. Glugen Marketing Plan
480 Early adopters
490 Balance KBL
(1 symp /12 CME Spk./7
Free samples for Glugen Patient care programme
BAT 2: Pen set,
12 Casc. CME (240Dr)
/ BAT 1
57. Strategic Promo Phasing
Q1'12 Q2'12 Q3'12 Q4'12 Q1'13 Q2'13
VA to 2900 Dr
Conversion thru focus strategy
considering Obj. vs resources
Expansion thru Dr. No & Prod.launch
Online test to
Internal PSR launch
In clinic launch
LBL-2 types (10/PSR)
Patient Care Prog.
Early adaptor BAT
PS on demand from Dr.
LBL-8 types (10/PSR)
PMS Trial (360 Dr)
6 Metro Symposia (240Dr)
12 Cascading CME(240Dr)
RTM booklet (5/PSR)
Pat. Care Prog.
PS. on demand from Dr.
PMS trial (360 + 500 Dr)
Line Extension launch ( Collagen +
Increase target Dr.to 20/PSR
Val in mio
58. Launch Plan
PMS TRIAL (June)
To provide hands on experience in clinic to develop confidence
among KOL for GLUGEN.
Select 100 Dr/SM in each zone for conducting SEEDING TRIAL.
Send a letter from HO requesting Dr. to be part of the trial for
collagen.(May be meet personally)
Later SM handover invite for getting on board GLUGEN TRIAL.
59. PMS TRIAL
Feedback of all drs can be collected at the end of 1st , 2nd 3rd &
4th month an flashed in a newsletter circulated to targeted drs.
Similar PMS trial can repeated again with different set of Drs.
Participating Drs. Will receive an gift set worth Rs.5000 as
Drs will be invited to share their experience at the planned
62. CME Plan
Launch Meetings/Clinical Symposia At Customer Level in 6 Metros
& Cascading CME in 12 regions
Venue 5 Star Hotel
12 Cascading CME
Other places one to one interaction
SPEAKER : KOL/MEDICAL Dept.
63. CME Plan
Objective: To create brand awareness through direct interface
Each region will have one launch CME of Glugen in JULY’12.
Select Speaker & target Orthos in the region for the CME.
Pl share the CME details by 30th June .
Topic: New concepts in OA management
65. Retail Availability Plan
Select 1 leading retailer near targeted dr.(Total 10 retailer )
Make 1box available at this retailer (5 sachets =
M.R.P.Rs.442.5). Total 10 box
Take retailer stamp on Retail Availability Card.
Give Retail Availability card to dr. when launching Glugen.
67. Plus 2 sachet worth Rs.104 free on purchase of 30 sachets
Total saving per month
Monthly saving on
Purchase of 30 sachet is
Monthly cost of
therapy Rs.1560 for 30
Cost per Sachet Rs.35
68. Stockiest Availability Plan
• Non-Metros : 10 Box/Stockiest
69. Souvenir Prescription Contest
• Collect 1 souvenir prescription of Glugen from each targeted
dr during launch visit.
• Souvenir prescription needs to be faxed to HO on 022-
28947101 or mail at firstname.lastname@example.org at the
earliest before 30th May’12.
71. Glugen Patient Care Programme
Since OA is a chronic therapy, prescriptions are for longer
To retain the patient on Glugen & ensure repurchase.
On every purchase of 30 Glugen sachets,2 sachet will be offered
PSR contact details with doctor will help patient to contact him.
PSR on receiving the call will explain special offer to the patient
and if agreed, will deliver the stocks to patient.