O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
• Big Ben is the nickname for the great bell of the clock at the north end of the Westminster palace in London, and is generally extended to refer to the clock or the clock tower (officially known simply as Clock Tower) as well.
• Here are two legens about Big Ben`s name.The first tells us that the heaviest bell for that time-13,7 tons was called in honor of Benjamin Hall, who was directing bell building. • According to other legend, Big Ben was called in honor of Benjamin Caunt, who was extremely popular at that time as a boxer in heavy weight.Benjamin Caunt Benjamin Hall
• The tower was erected according to the project of the English architect Augustus Pugin in 1858, and a tower clock started to go on May 31, 1859.• Tower`s official name is “Clock Tower of the Westminster palace” and sometimes also “St.Stephan`s Tower”.
• Tower`s height is 96,3 meters (with a spike).• The lower part of the clockwork settles down at height of 55 m from the ground.• At diameter of the dial in 7 meters and length of arrows 2,7 and 4,2 meters, clock long time was considered as the biggest in the world.• When the clock starts to lad behind,on the pendulum is placed old English penny, which accelerates its movement for 2,5 seconds per day.
• In the basis of each clock`s four dials is an inscription on Latin: “Domine Salvam fac Reginam nostram Victoriam primam”, which means “O Lord,save our queen Vistoria I !”• Along the perimeter of the tower to the right and left of the clock, there is another Latin phrase – “Laus Deo”("Thank God" or "Praise to the Lord").
• In Big Ben there was a prison,where were placed too flyed in rage parliamentarians.• The last prisoner here was the fighter for female rights Emmeline Pankhurst.• Now here is her monument near the parliament.
• In the Surgut,Russia is almost an exact copy of Big Ben,where is placed a school of foreign languages.
• The Clock Tower of the Westminster palace is one of the most recognizable symbols of Great Britain,and it is often used in advertising, films etc:
Music• In the music Big Ben was used by Joseph Haydn “Clock Symphony” in D major Hob.1 Nr.101
Literature• In the literature was used in Marvel comics.
• Cartoon "Cars 2" shows Big Ben, which in the “wheelbarrows” world is called Big Bentley and is decorated with logos of brand Bentley parts, an episode in the animated film takes place inside the tower.
• Big Ben has been featured in the documentary series "Life After People" after 100 years.