1. Climate Change
Exploring potential elements of a MWP decision
Sirini Jeudy-Hugo (OECD)
Based on “Towards an impactful mitigation work programme under the UNFCCC”,
S. Jeudy-Hugo and S. Errendal (2023, draft)
Hybrid CCXG Global Forum | 12 September 2023
2. Unpacking the mandate for an annual MWP decision
• Mitigation work programme (MWP) established “to urgently scale up mitigation
ambition and implementation in this critical decade” (Decision 1/CMA.3).
• Annual decision “to consider progress, including key findings, opportunities and barriers,
in implementing the work programme” until 2026 (Decision 4/CMA.4).
• First annual MWP decision expected to be adopted at CMA5 in Dubai.
Allow for learning-by-doing
Maintain political attention
& build momentum
3. Possible options for structuring a MWP decision
How to reflect lessons learned from the first year of the MWP?
How to ensure follow-up from MWP activities in 2023?
How to ensure synergies with other UNFCCC processes?
How to complement the global stocktake (GST) as mandated?
4. Reflecting lessons learned from the first year of the MWP
✓To help improve future MWP cycles, maintain effectiveness and relevance of process
Technical paper to inform MWP events
Reiterate provision to organise other
dialogues at regional level
Invite co-chairs to consult with high-level
champions on topic selection
Potential element of a MWP decision
5. Follow-up from MWP activities in 2023
✓To ensure identified priorities and related commitments are carried forward
Role of relevant
initiatives to support
Invite Parties to engage
in relevant initiatives
Invite high-level champions
to take forward priority levers
and report on progress
Identify other avenues to
scale up mitigation
COP26 & COP27
6. Synergies with other processes
✓To harness linkages and streamline related UNFCCC processes to increase the impact of the MWP
Just transition work
round tables (MRT)
Back-to-back MRTs on
pre-2030 ambition and
Iterative design of agendas
for MWP events and
potential JT events
Invite Parties to announce
1-2 key actions in response
to MWP and report back at
identified under MWP to
7. Complementing the GST
✓To inform future GSTs and be informed by the mitigation outcomes of the first GST (GST1)
future GST cycles
Delivery vehicle for
knowledge gaps identified in
GST1 and how to fill them
Space to share experiences and
best practices on mitigation
component of NDCs
• Use opportunity afforded by the annual MWP decision to maintain attention on the
urgency of scaling up mitigation efforts in the near-term by:
• Establishing an iterative process of learning so the MWP can improve over time.
• Setting up a system of follow-up from activities under the MWP each year.
• Maximising synergies with parallel related processes under the UNFCCC.
• Delivery vehicle for GST1 mitigation outcome and platform to inform future GST cycles.