HOW TO MOTIVATE
Anne Bruce. McGraw Hill.
48 Pages. 2003. RM24.00
This books basically describes about
ways to motivate every employees by
creating a working environment in which
the employees feel passionate about
doing their jobs and putting the best of
themselves into those jobs.
Build a Motivated Workforce.
In building a motivating organization:
Know why employees would want to be motivated by you
– employer must know how to engage workers in doing jobs and
influence their behaviors.
Recognize that real motivation is an inside job
– comes from within, external factors attracts and boost that internal
Turn employees on to what’s important and meaningful
– requires employer to inspire their followers to do their best, take
risks, to think like entrepreneurs and to unleash their limitless
They do it for themselves.
Employers must know how to connect employee motives to the
organization goals and activities. The three techniques used to
influenced employee motivation nowadays:
Fear and manipulation
- don’t work very well
– employee tend not to so much trying to achieve something.
- undermined communication and cooperation.
The carrot on a stick seldom works well
– Incentive motivation can undermine performance
- Employees will expect more to go beyond the minimum work
Set up an approach that promotes personal growth and
- let workers know that they have something to contribute for the
- emphasizes on performance and personal growth as a way to
influence employee motivation resulting employees maximizes
contribution and improved organization productivity.
Know what drives people.
To get people to perform at higher levels:
Appreciate everyone uniqueness.
- demonstrate that individual talents and differences are appreciated
Brainstorm for greater fulfillment.
- setup focus groups to get inputs from employees on what they
would like to get from their work.
- ask employees to brainstorm ways to make work more fulfilling
- take action and move forward with suggestion and ideas.
Assume that meaningful purpose is important to people.
- personal growth and recognition, creativity and meaningful
- ask employees to describe their ideal jobs and what they like and
don’t like about their work.
- use the knowledge gained to make work more fulfilling.
Make employees feel like partner.
Making everyone feels like partner in the business is one way
managers empower their people. Other ways:
Encourage entrepreneurial thinking
- requires employees to think like business owners.
- conveys a sense of feeling joint ownership and caring about the
success of the business and happiness of its people.
- employees will be motivated to take exceptional pride in their work.
Explain how the business is run.
- help employees understand better about what’s going on outside
- encourage employees to identify things they can do to contribute
directly in achieving the organization’s strategic goals.
Help employees feel as if they own the business.
- in order to get employees to be motivated to perform at their
highest level, help them gain more control of their jobs, help them
feel as if they belong to a community, as if they owned the business.
Affirm the link between motivation
There’s a direct link between employee motivation and performance,
and it depends on the organization’s culture and the enthusiasm
and excitement the company’s culture instills in its people. Three
important factors to consider when it comes to linking the motivation
to higher levels of performance and productivity:
Know the impact you’re having on people.
- be willing to commit to a strategy so that employees won’t feel the
approach was just a series of gimmick.
Make sure employees know what performance is.
- clearly define performance standard to employees according to the
organization or the employer expectations.
Tell people what’s expected of them and be specific.
- the more detailed and explicit the expectations, the greater the
chance the employee will meet or exceed them.
Fire up successful performance.
In order to fire up performance, employees need to be inspired to
reach the higher levels of performance and productivity, this
- share rewards with all those who contributed for the organization’s
Recognize and praise employees for any work well done.
- gives employees special learning opportunities, in other way,
telling that the management really values their performance and
wants to help them to continually improve their skills.
- encourage ongoing personal and professional development.
- after trainings, make sure employees are given immediate
opportunities to use their new skills resulting the training to be taken
seriously by the employees.
Offer incentives and morale
One way on how to enrich the workplace is to boost the benefits of
working in the organization. To be more creative with incentives,
Be flexible with employees.
- help employees to strike a life balance to keep employee
Motivate without money.
- replace with recognition for an example.
Walk the talk.
- be the role model for what you expect in others.
- convey the enthusiasm and remind others that problems can be
- always recognize people who conquer obstacles to achieve
- express optimism and faith in the team.
- make work fun and celebrate a lot!
Attack de-motivators head on.
There are three specific areas employer need to be aware of in
which they can build organizational strengths so that employees can
better handle de-motivating situations.
Hire for the best fit.
- avoid hiring people who get de-motivated quite easily or who are
just negative in one way or another.
Hold on to your best employees by creating an environment
that offers lots of feedback and builds confidence.
- give accurate and honest feedback and praise to employees.
- encourage employee cooperation and trust and higher levels of
performance and productivity.
Protect people’s dignity and self-respect at all times.
- create an environment that encourages employees to respect one
- never criticize employees in front others.
- offer corrective feedback only in private.
- never point fingers at someone.
Retain your employees.
All managers knows that hiring process is complicated, time-
consuming, and filled with uncertainty. Minimize having to do that by
holding on to the people you have. Some ideas to motivate and
Know what keeps the people who keep you in business.
- create an environment where employees feel right - a culture that
Understand the reasons employees stay.
- it’s not about the money. Top performers want to work in a
pleasant and progressive environment where they feel valued and
Let value and attitude be your guide.
- what people know is far less than what they are.
- a truly successful organization is based on finding people with the
right mindset, values and attitude, not simply experience.
- hiring people whom employer wants to keep is an important step in
building a culture that makes people want to stay.
Lesson learned from the Book..
Environment, employer, co-workers,
attitudes and incentives play important
part in motivating people.
You can’t motivate people, but you can
only influence what they’re motivated to
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.