When scaling, group all elements to be scaled. Scale as needed. Use the “Increase Font Size,”
“Decrease Font Size” buttons or manually change the font size for the editable text.
• Actual ‘Doing’ part is
• Methods to accomplish
• Organizational Strategies
• Functional Strategies
• Mission has a purpose
• Goals are mission details
Roles of An Operation Manager
Prepared by: Mr. National Dangi
Case study: Inside Singapore World
class education system
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 3
Vision, Mission, Objectives
• Vision: An idealistic emotional future of a company
Eg: Vision statement of a school; We know we have made progress not when a genius is able to do
something new but when non-geniuses are able to repeat it. Our vision aligns with shifts in the global
economy, environment and society which animates our mission and our values. Our vision is to develop
students’ personality, morality and other characters so that they respect societal values
• Mission: Who’s Who, Reason for existence
Eg: Mission statement of a school; We prioritizes humanity, cultural, moral and spiritual values
along with the knowledge. We aim to develop well-rounded thoughtful and confident students
prepared to cope with the ever-changing globalized world. We provide a culture of mutual respect
and acceptance with children moving onto their next venture with the skills and values to set them
on the path to achieve their dreams.
• Objectives: Action as per the strategies
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 4
• What is Operations?
– The part of a business organization that is responsible for producing goods or
• How can we define operations management?
- The management of systems or processes that create goods and/or provide
Note: Operations management has expanded from treating only the core production
processes in manufacturing organizations to include service organizations, non-core
operations processes and processes in other functions such as marketing, finance and
HRM. Pearson College of London
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 5
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 6
Inputs • Materials Information Customers
• People Facilities(Technology,
Outputs • Products and services
Sample Operation Strategies
Companies or services
Low price Low cost U.S. first-class, postage Wal-Mart
Responsiveness Short processing times On-
High Quality High Performance design
and/or high quality processing
Newness Innovation 3M, Apple
Burger King(Have it your way),
Service Superior Customer Service Disneyland, IBM
Location Convenience Supermarkets, Malls stores
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 7
Role of Operation Managers
• All activities directly related to producing goods or providing services.
• Primary function: Guide decision making
• System design decisions(Strategic Decision) - Capacity, facility location, facility layout,
product and service planning, acquisition and placement of equipment
• System operation decision – Generally Tactical and operational decisions.
Management of personnel, Inventory management an control.
– Note: Responsible for maintaining a business. Work along with location personnel
and upper management to ensure the functions of the business and service delivery.
Oversee everything from cleani
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 8
System design decision
Strategic decisions usually require long term commitment of resources
• facility location,
• facility layout,
• product and service planning,
• acquisition and placement of equipment
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 9
System operation Decision
• Generally Tactical and Operational decisions
• Management of Personnel
• Inventory management and control
• Project management
• Quality assurance
Note: Operation Managers spend more time on system operation decision than
any other decision area and still have a vital role in system Design
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 10
• System is a set of interrelated parts that must work together
• Business organization is a system composed of subsystems
• The system approach: It emphasizes interrelation among sub-system
• Main theme: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 11
Operation Manger Decision making
• Most decision involve many alternatives that can have quite different
impacts on costs or profits
• Typically, decisions are:
What resources are needed, its quantity?
When will each resources needed?
where will the work be done?
How will the product and services be designed?
Who will do the work?
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 12
• Harmony Public School Model:
Establishing OM System is quintessential
OM is behind the scene course responsible for functioning
From Enrollment to attendance
Students nutritionist and students health
Campus safety and maintenance to inventory record
Note: Record management refers to Tracking inventory, School records, employees records, compliance
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 13
Ethical Issues in Operation Management
• Aspects of Financial statements
• Workers safety and rights
• Product safety
• The environment
• The community
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 14
Key issues for OM today
• Economic conditions
• Quality problems
• Risk management
• Competing in a global economy
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 15
Why some organization fail?
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 16
A cold hard fact
• Better quality
• Higher Productivity
• Lower costs
• Ability to respond quickly to customers needs
• The bar is getting higher…
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 17
Page Title Page Title
2 OM in a picture 3 Case study
4 Vision mission objective 5 Definition
6 Transformation process 7 Sample operation strategies
8 Role of Operation Managers 9 System operation decision
10 System operation decision 11 System approach
12 Operation manager decision
14 Ethical issues 15 Key issues today
16 Why organization fail 17 A cold hard fact
Dec 1, 2022 Thursday 18
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.