2. NUMBER OF RELEASES
• Overall the total number of releases from the first thriller to the present year of 2013 total
to 561 and still growing, making the total domestic gross of all films to add up to
• 46 thriller films were released in the year 2012
• The thriller genre comes 5 th in top grossing genres with comedy at number 1.
3. HOW PROFITABLE WAS THRILLER IN 2012
• A total number of 59 movies were sold in the year 2012 making a gross of $1,500,674,664
• 191,494,209 tickets were sold throughout the year for the thriller genre.
• The hunger games was released in this year, turning out to be a rather profitable release
grossing at $408,010,692 and selling 52,108,645 tickets making it to be the 3 rd most
profitable thriller with ‘the dark knight rises’ at number one followed by ‘the dark knight’.
4. MEDIA INSTITUTIONS THAT PRODUCE
• Universal studios- founded 1912, and is the one of the oldest film studios in America.
Universal studios has released such thrillers as ‘Drag me to hell’, ‘The strangers’, ‘The
last house on the left’, ‘unborn’ and ‘stay alive’.
• Summit entertainment are also another studio that have been known to release thrillers.
Founded in 1993 by film producers Bernd Eichinger, Arnon Milchan and Andrew G. Vajna.
• The studio was originally created to handle film sales in foreign countries but later
expanded and began to co-financing and producing films in 1995.
• Thrillers that have been produced by Summit Entertainment are titles such as, ‘sorority
row’, ‘Hurt locker’ and ‘the ghost writer’.
5. SUCCESSFUL THRILLERS
• The Dark Knight Rises- Director: Christopher Nolan, Production company: Warner
Bros Pictures, DC Entertainment, Legendary Pictures and Syncopy.
Budget estimated: $45,000,000. Opening weekend: $49, 514, 769 (USA).
Gross worldwide: $283, 799, 275.
• Inception- Director: Christopher Nolan, Production Company: Warner Bros Pictures,
Legendary Pictures, Syncopy.
Budget Estimated: $160,000,000. Opening weekend: $62, 785, 337 (USA).
Gross Worldwide: $825, 532,764.
• The Sixth Sense: Director: M. Night Shyamalan, Production: Barry Mendel Productions,
Hollywood Pictures, Kennedy/Marshall Company and Spyglass Entertainment.
Budget Estimated: $40,000,000. Opening weekend: $26, 681, 262 (USA).
Gross Worldwide: $672, 806, 292.