Using screencasts to teach undergraduate programming
Recording your screen and voice while you complete a task and talk
Primary use: Assignment Feedback i
Record my screen while I complete an assignment and discuss what
• This is the only form in which assignment solutions are
released (at least initially), so students don’t just look at a
completed piece of code and assume they know what it does, or
could replicate it. Instead, they must also look at the steps
associated with constructing a solution.
• I tailor which areas I pay attention to in the video according to
trends of problems I’ve seen emerge from students while
they’ve completed the assignment. This makes the feedback
much more personal, and thus (hopefully) useful.
Video is mostly unedited and unplanned. Mistakes I make end up
being good points of learning for the students.
If edits are ever required, a simple editing programming is usually
sufﬁcient to cut or reorder video segments (e.g. iMovie, MovieMaker).
• Allows you to cut from screen recording to slides or images.
Release videos via YouTube.
• I can see how many students have viewed a video, and how they
rate it, so I can get a broad understand of how many students
have engaged with the feedback and whether it was useful for
• The YouTube format is widely accessible (e.g. different devices,
speed, captions, etc.), and also enables comments, through
which students can ask additional questions.
• Can add bookmarks to help students navigate longer content,
overlay information directly onto the video.
• Limit privacy to link only.
Other use: Assignment Hints
Other use: Supplement Lecture i
Other use: Supplement Lecture ii
• Content can supplement a lecture
• A lecture given by a colleague that you wish to add your take on.
• After a lecture, to go over topics again, if necessary, and
potentially provide a more useful resource than lecture capture.
Other use: Assignment Speciﬁcation
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.