• Design thinking draws on logic, imagination, intuition
and systemic reasoning
to explore the possibilities of what could be
to create desired outcomes
to benefit the end user.
• Design thinking is based on the design concepts, which is
related to problem solving, decision-making, creativity,
sketching, innovation and prototyping.
STAGES IN DESIGN THINKINGPROCESS
Empathise Define Ideate Prototype Test
The five stages in the Design Thinking process are not always sequential —
they do not have to follow any specific order, they can often occur in parallel
and be repeated iteratively.
• Human-Centred design process.
• Understanding the problem by placing oneself in
another’s position in order to feel what another
person is experiencing from within their frame of
• It involves consulting with experts, observing and
engaging with people, immersing into physical
environment for deeper understanding of issues.
• Hence substantial amount of information is gathered
from this stage.
• All the information's gathered are analysed and
synthesised in order to redefine the deeper roots of
• The Define stage will help the designers in gather
great ideas to establish features, functions, and any
other elements that will allow them to solve the
problems or, at the very least, allow users to resolve
issues themselves with the minimum of difficulty.
• Thinking outside the box to
generate new ideas and to identify
new solutions to the problem.
• Ideation techniques such as
Brainstorm, Brain write, Worst
Possible Idea, and SCAMPER are
used to stimulate free thinking and
expand the problem space.
• A prototype is an early sample, model, or release of a
product built to test a concept or process or to act as a
thing to be replicated or learned from.
• This is an experimental phase, where the solutions
identified are implemented in the prototypes, one by
one are investigated, accepted, improved, rejected or
re-examined on the basis of experience.
• By the end of this stage, the design team will have a
better idea to the problems and have a clearer view of
how real users would behave, think, and feel.
• The best solutions identified during the prototyping
phase are tested by evaluators.
• Even during this phase, alterations and refinements
are made in order to rule out problem solutions.
CHARACTERISTIS OF DESIGN THINKING
• Human and environment centered concern.
• Ability to visualize.
• Predisposition toward multifunctionality.
• Systemic vision.
• Affinity for team work.
• Avoiding the necessity of choice.