O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
1. The term PLCC abbreviates Power Line Carrier Communication since conductors of Power Lines (132 kV, 220 kV, 400 kV and 765 kV Transmission Lines) carry the high frequency communication signal, is used for establishing data communication between two stations using a Power Line
The idea of using an existing medium to send the communication signals is as old as the telegraph itself. But it had not been possible until the recent decades. The first significant step in the field was when two patents were issued to American Telephone and Telegraph Company in the name of 'Carrier Transmission over Power Circuits' in 1920. After four years later in 1924 two other patents were filed for the systems transmitting and receiving communication signals over three phase power lines.
Harsh characteristics of the power cables were the key problem in further development. Researchers were involved to overcome the unpredictable characteristics of the power lines. Since the early 1980, spread spectrum power line communication was the main focus of the research. This technology is now developed far better than that initial improvement and is promising a reliable utilization in home automation and security systems
WAVE TRAPS Wave traps – (WT’s) are used between the transmission line and the power stations to avoid carrier power dislocation in the power plant and cross talk with other power line carrier circuits connected to the same power station. WT’s also ensure proper operating conditions and signal levels at the PLCC transmit receive equipment irrespective of switching conditions of the power circuits and equipment in the station.
A wave trap must satisfy the following requirements: 1) It must block the carrier currents. By blocking, we mean that the track should attenuate the H.F. signals by at least 8 to 10 dB. 2) It must carry the power frequency current safely during normal operation as well as during short circuit fault conditions.
Now a days PLCCs are replaced by OPGW. OPGW abbreviates Optical Ground Wire. Optical Ground Wire acts as normal ground wire protecting phase wires from lightning strikes and carries earth fault current. Apart from its application as an earth wire, OPGW also provides an optical path in power line installations for telecommunication & protection needs. OPGW can be installed in the same manner as normal ground wire with conventional resources. OPGW eliminates the Coupling Capacitor & Line Trap thereby reducing the system complexity and enhancing the reliability.
Power Line carrier communication
PRACTICAL TRANING SEMINAR
GUIDED BY: SUBMITTED BY:
Mr. Rahul Gupta Madhusudhan Agarwal
(Asst. Prof., ECE Dept.) (PIET/EC/12/065)
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Poornima Institute of Engineering and Technology,
Table of Contents
• Types of Equipments
• Pros and Cons
• Future Scope
POWER LINE CARRIER
If you Observe
Home, Along side road, Internet Lan, Telephone
line, Power lines, High Tension lines , At Power
Stations, and many more.
• The first significant step in the field was when two
patents were issued to American Telephone and
Telegraph Company in the name of 'Carrier
Transmission over Power Circuits' in 1920.
• in 1924 two other patents were filed for the systems
transmitting and receiving communication signals
over three phase power lines.
1. Rajasthan State Electricity Board started working from 1st june 1957
2. On 19th July 2000 Government of Rajasthan divided RESB in five part so
that board will run efficiently
1. Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd.(RVUN), the generation Company.
2. Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Prasaran Nigam Ltd.,(RVPN), the transmission
3. Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd.,(JVVNL) , a regional distribution company.
4. Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd.(AVVNL) a regional distribution company.
5. Jodhpur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Ltd.(JdVVNL) a regional distribution company
Vidyut Bhawan, Jaipur, Rajasthan
E-mail : email@example.com
Website: http://www.rajenergy.com/rseb.htm 04-09-2015PLCC 8
JAIPUR VIDYUT VITRAN NIGAM LIMITED (Jaipur Discom) is engaged in distribution
and supply of electricity in 12 districts of Rajasthan, namely Jaipur, Dausa, Alwar,
Bharatpur, Dholpur, Kota, Bundi, Baran, Jhalawar, Sawaimadhopur, Tonk and
Equipments Of PLCC
Indoor Equipment`s:- Indoor Equipments consists of a
batteries bank of battery charger of required ratings
and carrier sets. Battery used in the system has
Outdoor Equipment`s:- Equipments which are outside
the control room, in yard are called outdoor
• OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT
1. Line Trap
2. Line Matching Unit
3. Balancing Transformer
4. High Frequency Cable
5. Capacitor Voltage Transformer
• INDOOR EQUIPMENT
1. Carrier Terminal
2. Lighting Arrester
3. Battery Charger
5. PLCC Cabinet
1. It is also called "Wave trap".
2. It is connected in series with the power
3. It blocks the high frequency carrier waves
1.Operating voltage 145KV RMS
2.Operating Current 31KA
3.Type of tuning Board Band
4.Material use Non-Magnetic
1. Balancing transformer (BT) is used when phase to phase
communication system is used for balancing the two LMU
2. The diagram of balancing transformer is shown in figure 3.1. As
shown in diagram is very less in size but it is play a vital role in
power line carrier communication.
Fig 3.1: Balancing Transformer (BT)
1. HIGH FREQUENCY CABLE (HFC):It is used to carry the signal from
PLCC cabinet to switch yard
2. LINE MATCHING UNIT: Tuning Device is the combination of R-L-C
circuits which act as filter circuit. LMU is also known as Coupling
Device. Together with coupling capacitor, LMU serves the
purpose of connecting effectively the Audio/Radio frequency
signals to either transmission line or PLC terminal and protection
of the PLCC unit from the over voltages
3. CAPACITOR VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER: It allows to pass the
frequency to line. It provides low impedance path for carrier
energy to HV line and blocks the power frequency. Circuit by
being a high impedance path easily
1.Operating voltage 145KV
2.Voltage Factor 1.5
3.Temperature 55 degree C
1. It is installed in control room.
2. It has two sections:
3.Transmitter: In this, voice frequency (VF) is
amplified and then modulated to intermediate frequency
(IF) and amplified, modulated into HF and then
4. Receiver: In this section HF signal is received and
then demodulated from HF to IF and connected to the
1. The ground wires running over the towers
provides an adequate protection against lighting
2. It reduced the induced electrostatic or
A good light arrester must pass the following
1. It should not absorb any current during normal
2. After the over voltage discharge, it must be
capable of interrupting the normal frequency of
current 04-09-2015PLCC 20
1.BATTERY CHARGER: It is used for 48 volts DC supply
2.CARRIER TREMINAL: The 9505 PLC terminals are
intended for transmission of speech, telemetering,
teleidication and tele protection in the signal carrier
3.EPAX: It consist of PLCC carrier equipment and
related electromechanically switching equipment`s
like EPAX to provide voice communication
1. PLCC (Power Line Carrier Communication) works on rectified AC or main
2. When supply goes off, we use BATTERY CHARGER for proper functioning
3. It provides supply to the PLCC equipment for uninterrupted working.
4. It provides DC to the panel by battery of 48V. In this type 24 batteries are
connected in series and individually per battery has approximately 2V
1. The cost is less because no separate wires are needed
for communication purposes
2. Power lines have appreciably higher mechanical
strength compared with ordinary lines.
3. Power lines usually provide the shortest route between
the power stations.
4. Carrier signals suffer much less attenuation because
power lines have large cross-sectional area 04-09-2015PLCC 25
1. Proper care has to be taken to guard carrier equipment.
2. High voltages and currents
3. Due to Reflections attenuation increases and creates
4. Noise introduced by power lines is far more than in case of
2.Transmission & Distribution Network
3.Home control and Automation
1. For communication purpose between the power systems, PLCC plays a vital
2.For better reliability between interconnected systems PLCC is must
3.I have gained a wonderful experience and practical knowledge in this
4.I also learnt the importance of PLCC in power system
5. Without PLCC a large power system cannot be assumed
6.I am also thankful to those who had been helpful during my training period