2. 18. WHAT IS THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST? The Three Angels' Messages
5. … As these lofty buildings went up, the owners rejoiced with ambitious pride that they had money to use in gratifying self and provoking the envy of their neighbours. Much of the money that they thus invested had been obtained through exaction, through grinding down the poor . They forgot that in heaven an account of every business transaction is kept; every unjust deal, every fraudulent act, is there recorded. The scene that next passed before me was an alarm of fire. Men looked at the lofty and supposedly fire-proof buildings and said: They are perfectly safe. But these buildings were consumed as if made of pitch. The fire engines could do nothing to stay the destruction. The firemen were unable to operate the engines …
6. … There are not many, even among educators and statesmen, who comprehend the causes that underlie the present state of society. Those who hold the reins of government are not able to solve the problem of moral corruption, poverty, pauperism, and increasing crime . They are struggling in vain to place business operations on a more secure basis . If men would give more heed to the teaching of God's word, they would find a solution of the problems that perplex them. … Absorbed in worldly business and pleasure, the antediluvians knew not until the Flood came, and took them all away. They had heaven-sent warnings, but they refused to listen .…
7. … Not all in this world have taken sides with the enemy against God . Not all have become disloyal . Soon the battle will be waged fiercely between those who serve God and those who serve Him not . Soon everything that can be shaken will be shaken, that those things that cannot be shaken may remain . Satan is a diligent Bible student . God's people will not find their safety in working miracles, for Satan will counterfeit the miracles that will be wrought . God's tried and tested people will find their power in the sign spoken of in Exodus 31:12-18. They are to take their stand on the living word : " It is written ." This is the only foundation upon which they can stand securely .
17. Question: Would God raise up a people who would restore God’s prophetic calendar prior to the end of this period?
37. … At that time many will separate themselves from those churches in which the love of this world has supplanted love for God and his Word . Many, both of ministers and people, will gladly accept those great truths which God has caused to be proclaimed at this time, to prepare a people for the Lord's second coming. The enemy of souls desires to hinder this work; and before the time for such a movement shall come, he will endeavour to prevent it, by introducing a counterfeit . In those churches which he can bring under his deceptive power, he will make it appear that God's special blessing is poured out; there will be manifest what is thought to be great religious interest...
38. … Multitudes will exult that God is working marvelously for them, when the work is that of another spirit . There is an emotional excitement, a mingling of the true with the false, that is well adapted to mislead . Yet none need be deceived. In the light of God's Word it is not difficult to determine the nature of these movements. Wherever men neglect the testimony of the Bible, turning away from those plain, soul-testing truths which require self-denial and renunciation of the world, …It is evident that these movements are not the work of the Spirit of God . Those who honour the Bible Sabbath will be denounced as enemies of law and order, as breaking down the moral restraints of society, causing …
39. … anarchy and corruption, and calling down the judgments of God upon the earth . Their conscientious scruples will be pronounced obstinacy, stubbornness, and contempt of authority. They will be accused of disaffection toward the government . Ministers who deny the obligation of the divine law will present from the pulpit the duty of yielding obedience to the civil authorities as ordained of God . In legislative halls and courts of justice, commandment-keepers will be misrepresented and condemned . A false coloring will be given to their words; the worst construction will be put upon their motives. …
40. … As the Protestant churches reject the clear, scriptural arguments in defense of God's law, they will long to silence those whose faith they cannot overthrow by the Bible . The dignitaries of church and State will unite to bribe, persuade, or compel all classes to honour the Sunday. The lack of divine authority will be supplied by oppressive enactments . Political corruption is destroying love of justice and regard for truth; and even in free America, rulers and legislators, in order to secure public favour, will yield to the popular demand for a law enforcing Sunday observance. Liberty of conscience, which has cost so great a sacrifice, will no longer be respected . In the soon-coming conflict we shall see exemplified the…