4. About the feature
● Enables users to buy, upgrade, fuse, and
● Specialists are assigned to formations.
● The specialists in your active formation
provide boosts that make your armies more
● Stronger specialists provide better boosts.
● Released: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 !!!
5. Things we worked on (overview)
● New Functionality
● Admin Tool
● Bug Fixes
6. New Functionality
● Implemented Player Formation Inventory
● Allows players to purchase new formation
slots for War-Room to swap active specialist
formations with a single click.
● Rank-boost-map and slot-general-map refactor
using Cantor Pairing Function.
● Add boost_score to rank-boost-map of client
● PlayerGeneralInventory refactored when
- both bought under War-room Expansions.
8. Admin Tool
● The admin tool allows game administrators
to modify player data / attributes.
● Used for testing purposes, to fix mistakes,
and to keep players happy.
● Examples on next slides.
● Change in level causes a change in the
● Rank cannot be changed using Admin Tool.
● Product managers and analysts want
information about how often certain game
● The server team logs information about
these events as they happen.
15. What we worked on
● Log when a specialist increases its rank.
● Log when a specialist increases its level.
● Log the specialists in the active formation.
● Log when a specialist is acquired.
● Log when a specialist is dismissed.
16. Other War Room Tasks
● Writing (and fixing) unit tests.
● Smaller bug fixes and a little firefighting.
● Collaboration with client engineers
(troubleshooting, feature implementation,
17. Other tasks (Not War Room)
● Port features from HC2 to HC1: Guild auto-
join, metascore, AB Testing (in
● Safeguard pruning script (in development).
● PlayerBuilding - In Progress.
18. Bug Fixes
● Fixed unnecessary or unexpected event
queue invocations (or it’s lack thereof) in the
server code from PlayerBuilding.
● Fixed incorrectly charged gold for speedups
bought by players that failed to apply.
● Fixed incorrect scores displayed after a
battle in WD (and rewrote the update score
function in the process).
19. Things I’ve Learned (Jeremy)
Software / Tools / Languages
● PHP and PHPUnit
20. Things I’ve Learned/
Gotten Better at! (Kush)
Software / Tools / Languages
● PHP, CodeIgnitor and PHPUnit
● Charles - Basic network monitoring.
● Git submodules
21. Things I’ve Learned (Jeremy)
● Model-view-controller framework
● Server-client relationship and interaction
● Unit testing techniques including mocking
● Purpose and techniques of analytics
● Passing data between web page and server
● Usage of submodules
22. Things I’ve Learned (Jeremy)
● What other teams do: QA, BD, BI
● Know your audience
● Be willing to ask for help, and willing to find
the answer on your own
● Calorie control
● Sometimes, a lot of people get laid off
23. Things I loved at GREE! (Kush)
● The people!
● Data configurable software/games.
● The git workflow and code reviews.
● Free meals and snacks!
Not so much:
● Lay-offs. I guess that’s the only thing I have
to complain about!
25. THANK YOU
*Our mentors: Priyank, Jeff, Daniel.
*Our managers: Alizons and Galvin.
*Our internship coordinators: Linda, Ada, and Tara.
*Our team and fellow interns.
*Entire GII Organization.
*All of you who showed up to listen to us, especially!