MicroCeph on MicroK8s — an exciting fusion of powerful storage capabilities and lightweight container orchestration. MicroCeph, the compact and scalable storage solution, finds its perfect match in the MicroK8s ecosystem.
1. Ceph storage on MicroK8s!
Senior Engineer @MicroK8s
1.29 Release Lead Shadow
Friday 1st of September, 1:30 pm GMT
● What is MicroCeph?
● MicroCeph advantages
● Deployment of MicroCeph
● MicroCeph on MicroK8s
3. What is MicroCeph?
Consistent, Isolated and Upgrade Friendly
● Streamlined and eﬀortless deployment
● Minimal setup and maintenance overheads
● MicroCeph is containerised snap with all of its
dependencies and runs fully isolated from the
● Using channels for the distribution, going from
latest/stable to latest/edge is easy
4. MicroCeph advantages
Storage for non-experts
● Easiest way to deploy Ceph, just a few commands
● Designed for non-experts
● Highly scalable
○ dev workstation, to edge, to datacenter
● Reliable and resilient
● Open-source distributed storage system
● Flexibility for object, block, and ﬁle-level storage
● Supports encryption at rest too!
5. snap install microceph
microceph cluster bootstrap
microceph cluster add node[x]
microceph cluster join pasted-output-from-node1
microceph disk add /dev/sd[x] --wipe
microceph.ceph osd status
9. - Kubernetes solves container orchestration issues at scale
- I can run my massive distributed workloads at scale (machine learning, video
transcoding, my SaaS business)
- Where can I store the end results?
- We need persistent storage!
- CSI (Container Storage Interface)
- Kubernetes does not solve the problem of distributed storage, since
performance, stability requirements might diﬀer
- Instead, it deﬁnes a standard interface to consume any storage
- Which CSI driver? Depends!
- On a public cloud? aws-ebs-csi-driver, azureﬁle-csi-driver, …
- On a private cloud? cinder-csi-driver, …
- On bare-metal? BYOS!
Distributed Storage In Kubernetes
11. sudo microk8s enable rook-ceph
Deploy rook-operator on the
- deploy a Ceph cluster inside
the MicroK8s cluster, using
disks from the hosts
- integrate with external
Ceph clusters and manage
them as citizens in
MicroK8s Rook Ceph addon (1/2)
12. sudo microk8s enable rook-ceph
- Can detect the right CSI
version depending on running
K8s and Ceph
- (Optionally) Can be used to
manage Ceph from
- (Optionally) Simpliﬁes ceph
auth clients and keyrings
- (Optionally) Can deploy a
Ceph cluster on top of the
MicroK8s Rook Ceph addon (2/2)