2. 1. Introduction
2. Nutrition and its importance
3. Various components of food
4. Balanced diet and its importance
5. Deficiency diseases.
3. At the end of the lesson, you all will be able to
1. Define Nutrients and explain its importance.
2. Identify various components of food-
carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals and other
substances such as roughage and water.
3. Recognize the importance of nutrients.
4. Appreciate the significance of roughage and
water in a diet.
5. Discuss the importance of balanced diet.
6. Identify diseases that are caused due to
deficiencies of certain components of food.
4. Why do we need food?
We need food for energy,
growth, development and to
keep ourselves healthy
The process by which
living organisms obtain
food and utilize it for
their growth and
development is known as
What is nutrition?
7. Q 1. Define nutrients.
Q2. Why do we need food?
Q3. What are the major nutrients of the food?
Q4. Name the followings:
1. Energy giving food:
2. Body building food
3. protective food
10. These are very high
amount of energy
11. Proteins are body
of the body cells.
Proteins help us to
fight diseases and
fish, milk and
pulses are rich in
12. Vitamins are required
functioning of our
body. they protect us
There are different
types of vitamins
Vitamins A, B, C , D,
E and K. Lack of
Sources: fruits and
15. 1. What is the role of carbohydrates and fats in our body?
2. Name the food items which are the rich sources of energy giving food.
3. Which food items are called heat and energy giving food? Give two examples.
4. Which food group is called body building food? Why do we need them?
5. What are protective foods? Why are they called so?
6. Name the different types of vitamins needed by our body. Name their
7. Why do we require mineral in our diet? Name the various minerals essential
for our body.
8. What is roughage? Name the food items rich in roughage.
9. Why water is needed by our body?
10. How much water we should drink in a day?
11. Write the two sources of
A. Carbohydrates B. Fats
C. vitamins D. proteins
16. A diet that contains all
the different types of
nutrients in correct
amounts is termed as a
balanced diet. It also
include enough water
and roughage. It is
required for the proper
maintenance of our
18. 1. what is balanced diet? Why is it important for us?
2. Identify the diseases caused due to deficiency of vitamins and minerals:
a. Night blindness b. Osteoporosis
c. Kwashiorkor d. Anaemia
e. Beri-beri f. Ricket
g. scurvy h. Goiter